I Call This One....

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A miracle if it survives. 🤣

Seriously I haven't seen such bad roots before. I have no idea why this was in a 3 gal container. Most of the root mass was attached to what appeared to be a tap or main root that shot out at a weird angle straight down. The other half of the roots had VERY few feeders. It's dwarf JM from a local nursery that got it from Heritage Seedlings out of Oregon. The mix it was in was super compacted.

We will see if it makes it, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_225410558.jpg
    PXL_20220324_225410558.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20220324_225429048.jpg
    PXL_20220324_225429048.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20220324_225944803.jpg
    PXL_20220324_225944803.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20220324_231449367.jpg
    PXL_20220324_231449367.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 95
It is not unusual for a common seedling. However, you've planted it into much too large a container = you must be very careful to not 'over water' it (because those roots will not be able to suck out the water in the saturation zone before they drown). Furthermore, those weak three little roots will have a very difficult time trying to hold the trunk against common disturbances, so I hope you've done something to stabilize the trunk, without relying on the roots to do it.

Ah well, this is the sort of thing that teaches one the lessons that must be learned to become one who 'knows-what-they-are-doing'.

Last edited:
It is not unusual for a common seedling. However, you've planted it into much too large a container = you must be very careful to not 'over water' it (because those roots will not be able to suck out the water in the saturation zone before they drown). Furthermore, those weak three little roots will have a very difficult time trying to hold the trunk against common disturbances, so I hope you've done something to stabilize the trunk, without relying on the roots to do it.

Ah well, this is the sort of thing that teaches one the lessons that must be learned to become one who 'knows-what-they-are-doing'.
Thankfully over watering isn't too common place here in Texas, but definitely agree and will watch it.

The tree is drilled to the board. I should have taken a photo, but the board is also tied down on both sides to the pot.

Yeah a small screw. The idea is to secure the hardwood part of the tree to the board so it doesn't shift causing root damage.
I mean I know why one drills to a board lol focuses root growth laterally and the whole 9, I was asking because from the pic I just thought it wasn’t very thick n for some reason it made me question
But I’m realizing it’s not like a sapling or something , at quick glance at work I thought it was much younger

I mean I know why one drills to a board lol focuses root growth laterally and the whole 9, I was asking because from the pic I just thought it wasn’t very thick n for some reason it made me question
But I’m realizing it’s not like a sapling or something , at quick glance at work I thought it was much younger
Got it, apologies

Back
Top Bottom