Hydroponics and bonsai

Hey cbroad you might want to jump in on chili pepper thread

This is really interesting. My aeroponic rig is sitting empty right now. I may throw in a rooted cutting of a Green Island Ficus to see what happens. I ended up having to take cuttings as a last resort- the plant was dying in incredibly short order in direct (summer) sunlight. First summer for that particular Ficus.

I am not sure Bnut that there is any real difference between Hydroponics and this.
Save the aged compost allows nature to do her thing.
Good Day
Anthony

ficus p2.jpg

hand rolled 8 mm fired clay balls and aged compost.

Ficus p2 b.jpg

I have been experimenting as time allows with tissue culture for about a year with mixed results. The biggest problem is getting a sanitary start from the mother plant into culture. However, once that's done you can propagate VERY quickly as long as you have the correct hormones.

@timetravel_0
Yeah I suggest giving it a shot with one of your ficus. Mine has responded very well, I can only imagine what would happen with more light and a better tuned fertilizer regiment. I didn't have any issues transplanting from soil to water, I thought I'd at least loose a few leaves but nothing adverse happened. I bet your aeroponics chamber would work even better; I'm still planning on building one for myself, maybe when I'm ready to air layer the thickest branch and separate it. I'll probably PM you to get some more details about the construction.

@cbroad I've been thinking about modifying it to make the "fog chamber" 2x as tall. It seems like once the roots suspended in the fog hit the water, they shrivel and die- but it's only been vegetables so far. I'm not expecting any issues switching the Ficus into the aeroponic system, they're in coconut fiber right now and that is usually a painless switch.

@milehigh_7
I'm really interested in all propagation, and tissue culture seems like the high art of this. I've never really looked too deep into it because I figured you'd need lab quality conditions. Do you have any resources you'd recommend for learning more about this?

@timetravel_0
Haha I had to transition from crappy Walmart supplier's "soil" and glued rocks, I was a little worried to say the least, and also had to deal with a small fungal problem. I had some succulents I was quarantining for bugs as I got the setup ready so I threw the ficus in with them and sprayed it with oil too for good measure.

Last edited:
I am not sure Bnut that there is any real difference between Hydroponics and this.

Almost near constant exposure to water and nutrients. For flowering plants, absolute control over photoperiods.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not?
Moving trees into hydro is the easy part for me moving them back into soil was more problematic.
You can start cuttings of succulents by setting them in a vase just above the water line- the roots grow into the water and they can live like this in the water. When you remove them from the water though the roots are soft and easily damaged. Even on older roots. If you move back to soil sometimes entire root systems need to be regrown.
I don't know if I've ever grown it out longer than a year though. After that they may be thick enough and more durable to survive???
Ficus, orchids, herbs and many house plants are propagated this way.
I do enjoy it but I don't know how I would use it in bonsai?

I guess it can be used to let your roots escape the pot. Sitting them above a tray of water.

@milehigh_7
I'm really interested in all propagation, and tissue culture seems like the high art of this. I've never really looked too deep into it because I figured you'd need lab quality conditions. Do you have any resources you'd recommend for learning more about this?

It's not "hard" but there are some necessities and you do have to have to get used to "sterile technique". To do it right you need about $400 would be a decent entry point investment. Really there is only one guy to get stuff from he has made it accessible to home folks and he is really cool and helpful. He's put a product line together that's pretty easy to use his name is Bill Graham. His background is in commercial tissue labs so he knows what's up.

Here is the starter kit:
https://www.monstergardens.com/Clon...cessories/Plant-Tissue-Culture-Microclone-Kit

Here is a good video from Monster Gardens

You can also watch all the videos on his Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/microclone100/videos

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

For what it's worth, aeroponics may be worth investigating. I typically get healthier root systems that are thicker, hairier, and more well ramified than DWC or NFT systems.

A product that's available at hydroponic shops is Fox Farm Ocean Forest. It's a potting soil that is very free-draining and loaded with nutrients out of the bag. I usually get thicker stems growing in a felt bag with Ocean Forest.

For the question above, many forms of hydroponics are done inside in order to be able to grow year-round and to have control over photo periods to induce flowering.
Can I use fox farm ocean forest in bonsai pots? For trees still in development. Do you sift it?

For what it's worth, aeroponics may be worth investigating. I typically get healthier root systems that are thicker, hairier, and more well ramified than DWC or NFT systems.

A product that's available at hydroponic shops is Fox Farm Ocean Forest. It's a potting soil that is very free-draining and loaded with nutrients out of the bag. I usually get thicker stems growing in a felt bag with Ocean Forest.

For the question above, many forms of hydroponics are done inside in order to be able to grow year-round and to have control over photo periods to induce flowering.
Growing year round inside is nice. But how long really can a plant live just inside without ever seeing the sun or daylight?
My friend grows ficus and Schefflera In grow tents with LED lights very successfully. He had a bougainvillea that was growing very well too, but one day it just suddenly died. He was really puzzled and concluded that the species cannot be sustained in an artificial environment

Back
Top Bottom