Hurricane carnage

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
my parents live on an island off the coast of Beaufort SC. Not sure if you watched much coverage on this hurricane we just had, but you had your radar up at about 4:00AM as that beast was rolling into our coast, you could have basically seen their house peeking out from the eye of the storm. Direct hit is an understatement! Luckily this thing had calmed down to cat 2 by the time it got here, but it still did work!
Their house is fine... some people just up the road, closer to a beach... not so lucky. Older houses not built on 15 foot stilts like my parents' place... most got about 3' of water inside! In some areas. The trees were down en masse... some areas, not so much. Our house is fine, most are structurally, but it is a total disaster area none the less...
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
Just a few pics zi took on a little ride around we did today... only a glimpse of what I saw. Keep in mind this is two weeks after the storm! Crews are still working constantly to get it cleaned up. We could not have taken a more direct hit, just glad it wasn't a cat 4 when it got here!

Attachments

• IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 1

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eric, I'm glad your parents are ok. When I was in college, my parents were at home when a tornado hit our house at 6:30 am! Actually, it passed right over, the trees were snapped in two about 20 feet off the ground. Huge loblollys lay everywhere.

Amazing power!!!

Again, glad everyone is safe!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks guys. They were fine- they came to stay with me in columbia which is far enough inland we didn't have much but beyond a good breezy day and some rain.

Scary how powerful weather can be! All these poor trees!

One of the amazing things I noticed was these monster OLD live Oaks that live in the coast around here- most of them laughed this storm off like nothing happened! Not only does it look like NONE of them were among the trees that fell, most of them still had all their leaves AND SPANISH MOSS hanging off them!! I was floored by that...

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Glad they are OK. I am in the NC Sandhills where we received some 15 inches of rain which has devastated eastern NC. We still have hundreds if not thousands in shelters and hundreds if not thousands have lost everything (because these were record flo0ds most have no flood insurance). We lost almost 30 people here. Some schools still have not reopened.

My little trees hunkered down and are OK. Some of my landscape trees, roof shingles, purple martin houses did not fair so well. Our sand soil turned into soup with the rain. Hundreds of roads were washed away including I95 and I40.

As we give thanks we also need to give prayers for those still suffering and to assist materially.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Glad they are OK. I am in the NC Sandhills where we received some 15 inches of rain which has devastated eastern NC. We still have hundreds if not thousands in shelters and hundreds if not thousands have lost everything (because these were record flo0ds most have no flood insurance). We lost almost 30 people here. Some schools still have not reopened.

My little trees hunkered down and are OK. Some of my landscape trees, roof shingles, purple martin houses did not fair so well. Our sand soil turned into soup with the rain. Hundreds of roads were washed away including I95 and I40.

As we give thanks we also need to give prayers for those still suffering and to assist materially.
Mother Nature can be so wonderful, and yet so devastating.. Sorry to hear about all of the loss, glad you're Ok.

Top Bottom