How to identify type of privet?

simoncools

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got this privet (ligustrum) bonsai on clearance at a garden center.
On it's plant id it is classified as indoor bonsai and it should be a Ligustrum

How would I be able to know wether it is a chinese privet (ligustrum sinense) or another type?
For what I've read, all privets, except chinese privet, should be able to be kept outdoors but protected from frost in my home climate.

It's been getting quite cold at night lately (5deg C) so I put the tree inside for now.
But id like to keep it oudoors for as long as possible as I don't get that much light indoors.

Attachments

• 20240831_203648.jpg
    20240831_203648.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240831_190746.jpg
    20240831_190746.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240831_190739.jpg
    20240831_190739.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 17
It has small leaves so I'd guess Ligustrum sinense AKA Chinese privet.

Just be aware that there's no such thing as an indoor plant. Only plants that are tough enough to tolerate indoor conditions. I'd still be keeping Chinese privet outside for as long as possible.
Down here these are a serious environmental weed. We spend a lot of time pulling and poisoning them. They obviously like temperatures down to -5C at night in winter because that's what we get here.

It has small leaves so I'd guess Ligustrum sinense AKA Chinese privet.

Just be aware that there's no such thing as an indoor plant. Only plants that are tough enough to tolerate indoor conditions. I'd still be keeping Chinese privet outside for as long as possible.
Down here these are a serious environmental weed. We spend a lot of time pulling and poisoning them. They obviously like temperatures down to -5C at night in winter because that's what we get here.
Im aware that there is no such thing as an indoor plant, it's just that i read very conflicting information about these.
Some say they can die if exposed to below 4C other sources say they are quite hardy.

I obviously want to keep it outdoors for as long as possible, I will probably put it oudoors again in a few days as its supposed to get a bit warmer again.

Indoor bonsai sold in gardens centers in Europe is mostly mass imported from China and I dare to say that the Ligustrum bonsai is always the Ligustrum sinense species.

I can certainly confirm that small leaf Chinese privet can cope with temps down to -5C. They may not like cold much. Mine drop a lot of leaves through winter but always grow again in spring.
I have several in pots, including one small shohin sized privet in a small pot that stays out all winter. We had a week with night temps down around -5C this winter and those trees are just growing new leaves now so even in pots temps below freezing are OK.
I just can't tell you how much colder they can cope with.

You can also put it in a shet or a styrofoam box or something like that to protect it from cold a little bit during the winter if it is below -5C.

You can also put it in a shet or a styrofoam box or something like that to protect it from cold a little bit during the winter if it is below -5C.
I have a large (uninsulated) shed, you can see it in the background of the images.
Would the lack of natural light not be an issue here?

This species of privet is almost certainly cold hardy in 8b. Protect the pot and roots with mulch if you are anxious, but otherwise leave it outside all the time.

Back
Top Bottom