How to get this ficus microcarpa to backbud

anathens

Seed
Reaction score
I am new to this. How can i get back budding in the circled areas?

Attachments

• ficus.jpg
    ficus.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 74

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to the forum, usually that can be achieved by removing the terminal buds or pruning the branch shorter, but I'd wait until the tree is growing vigorously, does it live outside during spring/summer? Here in Michigan I'd wait until mid July after the tree has been outside for at least a month.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am new to this. How can i get back budding in the circled areas?
I'd wait until the tree is growing vigorously

To expand on that, you really need at least twice as many leaves on that tree before I would consider it "vigorous." If you have an outside space and it is not already growing out there (and it is spring where you are), set the tree in a shady spot and shift it into a little bit sunnier spot every few days until it is acclimated to full sun. Fertilize it every week with an all-purpose, liquid fertilizer like Miracle Grow, diluted to half strength. Then, you should see it take off with growth. Double the foliage, then snap off the leaf buds you will find at the tip of every branch, and cut every leaf on the tree in half at the same time. Wait a couple of weeks before doing anything else (other than maybe wiring), and you will see backbudding everywhere on the tree. Use these techniques before the tree is strong, and it will not work nearly as well. The tree could even die.

If you lack outside space, invest in a decent grow light (like this one in a regular gooseneck lamp) and put the tree close (not touching) to the sunniest window you have. You can keep the grow light on (12-16hrs/day) during the summer, but it will be the most helpful in winter. The tree will grow pretty well, just not nearly as well as outside.

Good luck!

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
all of the above- more light, Vigor, ferts, once strong start by removing some tips, then take a few nodes back and wait. Apical meristems can suppress budding as the tree attempts to elongate rather than get denser. Heavier light exposure will encourage density, combine that by removing some tips and you should get back buds.

i mist that area of the trunk as well. But first you want that tree to be loaded with energy and hormones, then you can divert it to where you want it to go.

Reaction score
I have a Divi divi that backbuding vigurously. Best bonsai i have ever seen.

Attachments

• 20230614_113748.jpg
    20230614_113748.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
What's even more amazing is the tree lost all foliage while outdoors and looked for all the world like a charlie brown christmas tree.

then it just popped and I'm going to find a better winter spot for it come fall.

Reaction score
it needs a lot of light and i have a great east window lined up.

going on a humidity tray too.

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get it growing good and strong, completely defoliate it and clip terminal buds then bag it. That method seems to stimulate a strong back budding response on my ficus.
For bagging it, is it something you air out once a day or something like that to prevent mold?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just leave an opening at the top and you still get air exchange but it creates a humid micro climate around the tree.

Top Bottom