Ficus microcarpa 'green island' #1 progression - shohin_branches

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Decided to get a very typical Wigerts green island ficus to see what I could do with it and because it's an easy plant to make cuttings from to give away to friends.
I am not good at taking progress photos of my trees so maybe starting a few threads will keep me motivated.

I'm not really in to tropicals but I have them because the Wisconsin winters are long and boring.

July 12th 2023
20230712_181700.jpg
Wow, what a perfectly mediocre ficus you have there. It would be a shame if I chopped it up.

20230712_222029.jpg
Behold! A shaped stick! All cuttings will be rooted until morale improves!

September 13th 2023
20230913_074058.jpg
I removed the apex the day after I styled the tree and I'm really happy with that decision. I was tempted to split the trunk at the base and make two trees but I went with the little sister approach to solving the equal trunks. I rubbed off the buds that were in awkward or useless spots as they came in. I'm taking my time to decide what to cut on the right stump, but I trimmed it back to three good sprouts.

The soil is actually sifted potting soil with lots of pearlite but I top dress potting soil with pumice to keep the squirrels out of it.

Fun project. Are you planning to cultivate aerial roots? Do you have an indoor setup?
I have many indoor setups. A grow tent, an ikea milsbo greenhouse, and just a wire a shelf system full of T8 lights and humidity tanks. I think if I can fit it in the grow tent with the high powered LED bank and the humidifier I could get some more aerial roots on the tree. Its been getting chilly at night so it's close to time for the indoor/outdoor dance to start anyway.

I've seen people building these! What if any modifications did you make to it? It's really lovely looking on it's own, so I might try to find space for one....somewhere.
I did whole post about it on Reddit
It was a process but worth it to have a space to really enjoy my more specialized plants on the main floor of my house.

I did whole post about it on Reddit
It was a process but worth it to have a space to really enjoy my more specialized plants on the main floor of my house.
This is great! I've seen that Ikea product used this way a few times, but this is the best interior setup out of those

This is great! I've seen that Ikea product used this way a few times, but this is the best interior setup out of those
Thanks. I think having it full of bonsai and heliamphora make it look pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom