How to get thicker branches

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,

Just a small question, i have a starter bonsai for i think 1 year or so. And i left 2 branches to grow a bit bigger ( i want to air layer them at some point when they get thicker). But they only seem to go up in length, one is about 1 M up at this point but only 2mm in width. I tried to layer it at the lower parts which were about 2.8mm but it just healed and nothing happens (obviously since its not big enough).

How do i get it to grow a bit more thick instead of long ?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just let it grow. What species? A palmatum perhaps (They fatten up very little in their first year for me)
In general, good fertilizer, sun, a decent sized pot and letting grow does it.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let it grow more. The more leaves it needs to bring water to, the thicker it gets.
And why would you air-layering a 2mm branch?

Photos would help to see what you want to achieve.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Time along with growth are the critical components for thickening. You may be just a bit too impatient.
Different species react differently and you have not specified what trees you are using. Some species naturally grow long and thin while others thicken easily and quickly.

It can be difficult to layer really thin shoots because you are likely to much damage while ringbarking and kill the whole shoot.
I'd say give it some more time.

Photos are always good as they can sometimes give us clues that you have not even considered.

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-18 at 10.37.21.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-18 at 10.37.21 (1).jpegsorry for not adding pictures, if you are wondering why it's in a bigger pot. It came with a mayjor mite infestation in the bowl. So i transferd it to this one which was the only one i had at the time, and since it is growing up pretty good i decided to let it stay for a little longer.
As for the species ? i really dont know, it was a gift.. no card, no information, no help on how to, nothing in general.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like bougainville. These thicken up slowly. And under dutch conditions.. VERY slowly. You really need to let the branches grow very long before they start fattening up.

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Carp says cut em back to make more small branches. More branching is supposed to make a thin branch thicker than just length.

Sorce
so if i cut the tip, it's going to grow sides more. Wil that speed up the thickness or is waiting and growing in general better ?

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Are you keeping it inside 24/7? I noticed a huge growth spurt in my trees when I started keeping them outside during the warm-enough months. I feel like, as a general rule, trees grow mostly up at first, and thicken as they get older.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you want to know about how wood develops, I refer you to this:

It’s very complex. And even now, the process is still somewhat of a mystery. But, there are interactions between hormones that seem to dictate when and how the wood is created. And, one of the primary hormones is auxin. Cutting the tip removes the primary source of auxin. The terminal tips of branches are the strongest source of auxin. Secondary branches have auxin producing tips, but the terminal tip of the primary leader produces the most. Remove it, and you remove the auxin. The presence of auxin, or rather, the flow of auxin from the growing tips to the roots, is the trigger for the tree to build xylem to support and maintain that flow. Remove the auxin, you remove the stimulus for the tree to sustain the flow. The xylem functions as the method for the tree to send water and nutrients up from the roots to the branches. It also forms the bulk of the “wood”. Leaves don’t generate the auxin, the growing tips do.

To recap: if you want to thicken the branch, let the terminal tip grow.

If you want to create taper in your branches, cut back and let a new leader grow. Repeat.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To recap: if you want to thicken the branch, let the terminal tip grow.

If you want to create taper in your branches, cut back and let a new leader grow. Repeat.
It almost sounds like it is easy ;)

DixyNL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is easy. It just takes time.
though a year was pretty long, seems i was mistaken. Well i'll keep it on for another year or 2 then just to thicken it up a bit. Thanks for al the information!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
though a year was pretty long, seems i was mistaken. Well i'll keep it on for another year or 2 then just to thicken it up a bit. Thanks for al the information!!
Bonsai is a marathon, not a sprint.

Increase your thinking of time... substitute “weeks” for “days”; months for weeks; years for months; decades for years; lifetimes for decades.

I watched a video of a guy digging a JWP out of a field and putting it into an oversized training pot. It had been planted in the field by his great grandfather!

Think about that for a moment...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do not like that. I want it NOW.
What, you say, bonsai is not for me then? Unless I have lots of gold coins?

Ah well. I'll wait.

:)
I can sympathize.

I have been fortunate to be able to aquire a number of “legacy” trees that do have age and provenance. Some of them are as old as I am. As bonsai. That means they’ve been watered, fertilized, wired, unwired, repotted, trained, pruned, and generally fussed over for nearly 70 years!

In most cases, the people who sold the tree to me weren’t “selling a tree”, they were choosing an adaptive parent. Someone to nurture the tree for the next 20 or so years.

Alas... I must be getting old...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
almost looks like cornus kousa (dogwood) leaves, but they want to be outside.

i can see bougainvillea as well

Top Bottom