How should I prune this bonsai wanna-be?

panda

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi! This is my first post. I was given some kind of a ficus bonsai plant in 2005. I managed to keep it alive all these years, but it's gotten very leggy. I cut one of those long branches off and started a new plant about 3 years ago. Now this new plant is leggy too... how should I prune it back? If I cut mid-way on the branches where there are no leaves, will new leaves grow back closer to the main stem? The clay pot is 4" in diameter at the rim, and the plant is 14" tall measuring from the floor. This plant lives indoors near a window. Would love some pointers. Thanks!
IMG_3222.jpg

It will remain leggy until you give it the light it requires to grow otherwise. As to pruning, you don't have enough yet to prune.
It would help to know where you live.

I live in Raleigh, NC. Should I keep it outside as long as it's above a certain temperature?
If someone knows what they're doing, for a plant like this one, can it eventually be pruned back to where the plant is around 6" tall from the floor?

I live in Raleigh, NC. Should I keep it outside as long as it's above a certain temperature?
If someone knows what they're doing, for a plant like this one, can it eventually be pruned back to where the plant is around 6" tall from the floor?
Sure. Cut it back early to mid summer and keep it outside with good sunlight. When you bring it in for winter it still needs good supplemental light.

I will do that! If I cut on one of the three branches below all the leaves, will new leaves come from the bare branch? I guess I am not sure if the old nodes where the leaves have fallen off can still produce new leaves (sorry if I'm using all the wrong terms!)

Most ficus species will sprout wherever they are pruned, even from bare branches below any leaves so you can cut as low as you like. Most new buds will be close to the cut ends so better to cut shorter than cut too long. Remember that all new shoots will also grow out and up so take into account when deciding where to prune.
Most ficus are sub-tropical so they grow best in warm weather. Best regrowth after pruning in spring and summer when temps are higher but if you can give it good light and temp over winter it could be pruned any time of year.
Better regrowth when the tree is healthy so spend some time and effort to get your tree in good condition before chopping. Feed regularly (ficus love fertilizer), adequate light and protect from cold while waiting for late spring pruning time.

Most ficus species will sprout wherever they are pruned, even from bare branches below any leaves so you can cut as low as you like. Most new buds will be close to the cut ends so better to cut shorter than cut too long. Remember that all new shoots will also grow out and up so take into account when deciding where to prune.
Most ficus are sub-tropical so they grow best in warm weather. Best regrowth after pruning in spring and summer when temps are higher but if you can give it good light and temp over winter it could be pruned any time of year.
Better regrowth when the tree is healthy so spend some time and effort to get your tree in good condition before chopping. Feed regularly (ficus love fertilizer), adequate light and protect from cold while waiting for late spring pruning time.
That is very helpful! Thank you Shibui for the pointers! I haven't been feeding the plant much because I thought fertilizing it will produce bigger leaves, taller plant, etc. Obviously I was wrong.

At around what temperature should I take the ficus outside in the Spring, and take it back inside in the fall/winter?

At around what temperature should I take the ficus outside in the Spring, and take it back inside in the fall/winter?
I think most people pick 40 F.
Personally I like to aim for 50 F.
If my ficus get too cool it stalls them. This is particularly true in the fall.

Nice cutting you have there. I would just let it grow for a couple years. If you see my attachment, the cutting on the left is one year and the one on the right is 3 years. My Ficus grow fast in full sun over the summer. I prune maybe twice over the summer when there is a big growth spurt and I cut hard back anything too leggy. I bring inside under a grow light when temps get below 50 and don’t do any pruning during winter. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 04365B93-5C93-4158-AAED-E1BC78ED68A5.jpeg
    04365B93-5C93-4158-AAED-E1BC78ED68A5.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 26
I think most people pick 40 F.
Personally I like to aim for 50 F.
If my ficus get too cool it stalls them. This is particularly true in the fall.
Thanks! I will follow your advice and aim for 50F for the ficus, which means I will keep it indoors until next Spring.

Nice cutting you have there. I would just let it grow for a couple years. If you see my attachment, the cutting on the left is one year and the one on the right is 3 years. My Ficus grow fast in full sun over the summer. I prune maybe twice over the summer when there is a big growth spurt and I cut hard back anything too leggy. I bring inside under a grow light when temps get below 50 and don’t do any pruning during winter. Hope this helps.
Oh nice cuttings! Thanks for showing me the difference between 1 year and 3 years. I will plan to put it in full sun next summer, it has lived a sheltered life! How many hours a day do you set your grow light?

I run most of my lights 7 am to 9 pm. Some are 7 'till 7.

Would giving the ficus plant more light decrease the size of the ficus leaves?
The stem is so skinny now, how does someone achieve a thick upright stem in a ficus bonsai?
I noticed that the "root" (?) of my cutting has bulked up right underneath the soil (I brushed the soil away when I took this picture so it shows). Is that the "stem" or the "root"? (Sorry for now knowing the right terms)

Just let it grow out for a year. You also want a good soil for ficus.

mine is: 1/3 fine pine, 1/3 soil conditioner, 1/3 turface. My ficus grow vigorously in this mix.

also, don’t over water or it’ll die. I water my tropicals once a week every Sunday.

lastly, see second picture. This would be something worthy of trimming. Green on left is recent growth, brown on right is previous years growth.

Attachments

• 15896A21-8DA7-41F8-8E96-4483C7B82471.jpeg
    15896A21-8DA7-41F8-8E96-4483C7B82471.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 19
  • A8712FE3-8D50-4220-905E-14B7E955BD6D.jpeg
    A8712FE3-8D50-4220-905E-14B7E955BD6D.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 16
Just let it grow out for a year. You also want a good soil for ficus.

mine is: 1/3 fine pine, 1/3 soil conditioner, 1/3 turface. My ficus grow vigorously in this mix.

also, don’t over water or it’ll die. I water my tropicals once a week every Sunday.

lastly, see second picture. This would be something worthy of trimming. Green on left is recent growth, brown on right is previous years growth.
Thank you! The leaves on one of my cuttings is beginning to yellow, perhaps I have overwatered. I will stick to watering once a week.

Back
Top Bottom