How many of you are proactive and consistent with antifungal spraying?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've already applied this to all my trees this year. Except for my chinese elms. I have read that applying systemics to them will make them drop all of their leaves. But I have also read that people apply them to these trees and do not mention leaf drop.

Does anyone else use this on their elms? Would it be ok to apply this to my elms? Thank you !!

https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-...kqGDY5S0JSaB81ODgXgXU5XQKwWCc-6wOSRoC61bw_wcB

This stuff is the amazing btw. Due to my surroundings this year (this is the close of the first full year in our new place) and the lack of care for the trees in my neighbors yards I am starting to have to become a Pest-ologist :p

I poke fun but it's sad really. They have mytrles, avocados, ash and oaks. from 10-30 feet high. All of them are infested with everything in the book. Literally. Due to wind it is not possible for me to keep anything away.

I applied this to a hibiscus for example that is directly under all of those nasty trees and it has been night and day for that thing. It's totally immune now. Scales, aphids, spider mites, sooty mold all gone. I don't even have to think about it anymore.

I do however check my trees (all of them) 3 times a day (I'm OCD and work from home, great right? lmao)

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For what it's worth...

I use this sprayer.

View attachment 142414

It works really well, has a 4 gallon capacity, and the pump system allows you keep up constant pressure as you move around. The stainless steel wand is also really important and stands up to abuse much better than cheaper plastic wands. Easy-to-use generally means you use it more often. I went through several cheap $20 pump sprayers before I finally spent the money for this. I've used it for several years without an issue and can't believe I used anything else beforehand.
Nice, thanks. I just ordered one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce Damn sorry to hear! I have a permanent problem with them, Neem works as well as insecticidal soap. I have a daily battle with them with the hose and then I spray everything down 2 times a week. It's helped tremendously but I cannot get rid of them permanently

I use this one:

ee9347c9-7c2b-4d2b-bba7-3af1d5ee8a75_1.ac734c40d936bf65307313a869c4a573.jpeg

It's ready to use neem oil.

I first got a concentrate...
But Got no sprayer...

So I bought this today!

I will kill to them all tonight!

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I first got a concentrate...
But Got no sprayer...

So I bought this today!

I will kill to them all tonight!

Sorce

I did too but man with work and the kid I don't even have time to mix drinks anymore......

Good luck and may the sorce be with you :confused::p:D

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've already applied this to all my trees this year. Except for my chinese elms. I have read that applying systemics to them will make them drop all of their leaves. But I have also read that people apply them to these trees and do not mention leaf drop.

Does anyone else use this on their elms? Would it be ok to apply this to my elms? Thank you !!

https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-...kqGDY5S0JSaB81ODgXgXU5XQKwWCc-6wOSRoC61bw_wcB

This stuff is the amazing btw. Due to my surroundings this year (this is the close of the first full year in our new place) and the lack of care for the trees in my neighbors yards I am starting to have to become a Pest-ologist :p

I poke fun but it's sad really. They have mytrles, avocados, ash and oaks. from 10-30 feet high. All of them are infested with everything in the book. Literally. Due to wind it is not possible for me to keep anything away.

I applied this to a hibiscus for example that is directly under all of those nasty trees and it has been night and day for that thing. It's totally immune now. Scales, aphids, spider mites, sooty mold all gone. I don't even have to think about it anymore.

I do however check my trees (all of them) 3 times a day (I'm OCD and work from home, great right? lmao)
The Bayer product I use screws onto a hose the sprayer is included.
And I've never had an elm blink an eye.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for the insight @M. Frary , I'm going to hit them also. I use the tree and shrub concentrate (12 month). Super happy with the results on the other trees.

When I mix it though, I feel like a mad scientist.......shit is bright neon green!!!

I did see the hose sprayer you have..........I was tempted to buy it and douse my neighbor's nasty ass trees with it.......too bad that would be illegal :p

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce Damn sorry to hear! I have a permanent problem with them, Neem works as well as insecticidal soap. I have a daily battle with them with the hose and then I spray everything down 2 times a week. It's helped tremendously but I cannot get rid of them permanently

I use this one:

ee9347c9-7c2b-4d2b-bba7-3af1d5ee8a75_1.ac734c40d936bf65307313a869c4a573.jpeg

It's ready to use neem oil.

So I have a friend who opened this bottle, and found a lot of sludge left in the empty.

So either shake more...

Or try this...that first stuff I bought.
Smells better.
I think it's less $ too.
20170527_072852.jpg

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I just sprayed two days ago with Mancozeb and pyrethrins. Every time I spray fungicide I use an organic insecticide at the same time. The pyrethrins smells better than the neem oil, though there is still an odor to it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll be spraying all of my trees with Bayer 3 in 1.
It is a fungicide,miticide,and insecticide. Turns my trees toxic. Bugs take a bite and dies. No fungus.
It's a win,win situation.
Easy to apply and lasts 3 months in the tree.

It also comes in granular which I find easier then spraying. Most times there is just enough breeze here to make sprays awkward to use.

Bayer 3 in 1 Rose and Flower.jpg

Grimmy

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I have a friend who opened this bottle, and found a lot of sludge left in the empty.

So either shake more...

Smells better.
I think it's less $ too.
View attachment 147416

Sorce

Thanks I'm gonna pick that up when I'm at the store. That is the concentrate right?

I did shake it a lot before use.......but you know what I don't like is the spray bottle setting...is sprays in a circle with no middle coverage...retarded......

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I just sprayed two days ago with Mancozeb and pyrethrins. Every time I spray fungicide I use an organic insecticide at the same time. The pyrethrins smells better than the neem oil, though there is still an odor to it.
That is a great idea.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonsai Nut said:
For what it's worth...

I use this sprayer.

View attachment 142414

It works really well, has a 4 gallon capacity, and the pump system allows you keep up constant pressure as you move around. The stainless steel wand is also really important and stands up to abuse much better than cheaper plastic wands. Easy-to-use generally means you use it more often. I went through several cheap $20 pump sprayers before I finally spent the money for this. I've used it for several years without an issue and can't believe I used anything else beforehand.

Nice, thanks. I just ordered one.

Ordered, arrived, and filled with neem. Neem oil is my first go-to, since it's organic, is a fungicide and an insecticide. When things get out of control, I go for the stronger chemicals.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is a great idea.

Just check to ensure compatibility. I know neem and pyrethrins are compatible with Mancozeb, Clearys 3336 and Heritage. However I can't vouch if you start mixing chemical insecticides with chemical fungicides. I don't know how much of an issue it is, honestly, but since the labels on several of the products specifically break out chemical compatibility, there are probably some combinations out there that don't play well together :)

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you dilute clearys 3336 to working concentration, does it remain stable in the sprayer/container until the next applications (in 7 days and then again 14 days after that)? No info found on net.

How stable is Clearys diluted to working concentration?

Trying to figure this out before I purchase this in concentrated form and devise a plan for application

Noah

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My schedule is a little ghetto. I do one series in the early winter and one in the early spring.

Early winter for me means when the first rain comes. I wait until there is rain in the forecast, and spray the first time about a week before the first rain. Then I rotate to a different insecticide / fungicide and spray after the rain once the foliage is dry, but no sooner than about a week to 10 days after the first spraying. Then I wait until the next rain, or else go ahead and spray about a week or two after the second application. So the entire sequence takes about a month for 3 sprayings usually in December.

Then I wait until early spring for the second series - which is late Feb / early March. I might accelerate the timeline if the weather is warmer - I need to get the whole sequence done before the citrus bloom because I don't want to spray flowers because it will kill pollinators.

I find when I do this schedule I don't have any trouble during the summer with bugs or fungus. I think as long as the new buds have the opportunity to mature and burst forth new growth in the spring, the mature foliage is much less susceptible to pathogens.

So, to summarize, you do one complete cycle of all three medications in early winter and then early spring. Anything else as spring progresses or into summer?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, to summarize, you do one complete cycle of all three medications in early winter and then early spring. Anything else as spring progresses or into summer?

Yes. Though to be honest, I have kept up infrequent spraying this late spring... just because. One of the members of our bonsai study group has a bad case of juniper tip blight and has other friends who are suffering from the same issue. I am hoping it was just due to a much wetter than normal winter, but I use overhead broadcast sprinklers (instead of just watering at the soil level) and so I am particularly nervous about fungus. Once it gets hot and dry here I think I won't have to worry but right now it has been cool and cloudy.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. Though to be honest, I have kept up infrequent spraying this late spring... just because. One of the members of our bonsai study group has a bad case of juniper tip blight and has other friends who are suffering from the same issue. I am hoping it was just due to a much wetter than normal winter, but I use overhead broadcast sprinklers (instead of just watering at the soil level) and so I am particularly nervous about fungus. Once it gets hot and dry here I think I won't have to worry but right now it has been cool and cloudy.

Good to know. We have had a really wet spring and early summer here in NC and I have had really bad fungal problems. The baseline humidity of 85% in the morning doesn't help either.

Top Bottom