How long can I bring my tree inside for in winter?

Thundie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Basically I wanna bring my tree in to work on it, but I don't know if it will affect the dormancy, is there a time limit? is it something I shouldn't do? etc. I only have a heated apartment, no unheated garage, with my trees being on my glazed balcony.

What type of tree? What type of work?
Junipers and a Taxus, detail wiring, cleaning/carving deadwood, nothing major.

Also outta curiosity, could bring it inside a little bit be good to help defrost the soil a tad to the be able to water easier? Mainly asking this for trees still in nursery pots and soil as they've faced weeks of -20 celcius (-13 on balcony) and look a dry but also rock hard which makes me wonder if the tree is sucking up anything at all (conifers)

if it's that cold outside, I think the rapid temperature fluctuations between freezing, heating and then freezing from bringing it in and then putting it back outside could cause damage. I'd wait until outside was slightly above freezing.

Careful for freeze dry! I'm not sure what that entails, but I heard it's a thing. Anytime it's above freezing for a day I check the soil to make sure it's damp. It's even more important with evergreens.

if it's that cold outside, I think the rapid temperature fluctuations between freezing, heating and then freezing from bringing it in and then putting it back outside could cause damage. I'd wait until outside was slightly above freezing.
It probably won't be like that for a little, I'm asking cause in the coming days we will have -5 so the balcony should be around 0, would that be fine you think?

Careful for freeze dry! I'm not sure what that entails, but I heard it's a thing. Anytime it's above freezing for a day I check the soil to make sure it's damp. It's even more important with evergreens.
issue iß it's been so cold here that even at around 3 degrees it takes a while to defrost the ones in nursery pots, should I go ahead and water them with room temp water just incase? Maybe help melt them a little more

It probably won't be like that for a little, I'm asking cause in the coming days we will have -5 so the balcony should be around 0, would that be fine you think?
that should be okay, for a short time inside

Working a tree mid winter without protecting the tree afterward may result in cold damage. I wire most of my pines from December through March, but I've got a cold room where the temperature rarely falls below freezing and there are obviously no drying winds unless the windows are opened (they aren't right now). The more twists and bends a branch experiences with wiring, the more microdamage the cambium suffers. Bringing a tree inside and working on it for a day then back outside is fine, but protection from hard freezes and wind is important after the work is done.

What is your USDA zone? It sounds to me that with such extreme cold, it may be better to wait til you have some more mild weather. Maybe late winter as temps inch up above freezing or next year as temps are lingering in the 30's(F) or just above 0C when you can prepare some winter protection to follow.

I don't want to scare anyone, but -9 C or 15 F is the lowest temperature generally a tree should face unprotected. This means on a balcony one should protect a tree however possible. I think even a black tote would block the wind and warm substantially absorbing the sun.

Basically I wanna bring my tree in to work on it, but I don't know if it will affect the dormancy, is there a time limit? is it something I shouldn't do? etc. I only have a heated apartment, no unheated garage, with my trees being on my glazed balcony.
This is a good time to sift soil components, sketch designs, clean and sharpen tools. Wait for warmer weather closer to the end of winter before working your trees. The climate, the balcony and your location indicates patience is prudent.

Working a tree mid winter without protecting the tree afterward may result in cold damage. I wire most of my pines from December through March, but I've got a cold room where the temperature rarely falls below freezing and there are obviously no drying winds unless the windows are opened (they aren't right now). The more twists and bends a branch experiences with wiring, the more microdamage the cambium suffers. Bringing a tree inside and working on it for a day then back outside is fine, but protection from hard freezes and wind is important after the work is done.
Yea, I won't be doing anything extreme. Just some very light detail wiring and not a lot and also working on my deadwood. I did heavier bands late summer/early autumn on my trees.

I don't want to scare anyone, but -9 C or 15 F is the lowest temperature generally a tree should face unprotected. This means on a balcony one should protect a tree however possible. I think even a black tote would block the wind and warm substantially absorbing the sun.
It's a glazed balcony, it's completely enclosed except for a few little gaps between panels, up against the apartment walls and outta direct wind. I also have blanket wrapped around them to block and any extra wind.

Detail wiring on smaller tertiary branches could be dangerous if temps are low as they have less protection and are more fragile. I think the consensus amongst the experienced practictioners is to hold off until later in the season.

It's a glazed balcony, it's completely enclosed except for a few little gaps between panels, up against the apartment walls and outta direct wind. I also have blanket wrapped around them to block and any extra wind.
This changes things a bit then. You should have adequate protection.

This is a good time to sift soil components, sketch designs, clean and sharpen tools. Wait for warmer weather closer to the end of winter before working your trees. The climate, the balcony and your location indicates patience is prudent.
You're probably right, I've finished all that and getting impatient I guess haha.

Detail wiring on smaller tertiary branches could be dangerous if temps are low as they have less protection and are more fragile. I think the consensus amongst the experienced practictioners is to hold off until later in the season.
Yea that's what I'm thinking now after everyone's replies. Gotta gain more patience I guess. I also partially wanna bring them inside for a few hours to help them defrost even just a little to help me water them easier. They look dry and I water only for the water to freeze on top

Have you taken a temp reading on your enclosed balcony? Maybe just a supplemental heater will raise the temp enough to stay above freezing..

Back
Top Bottom