How did you learn how to correctly practice bonsai?

Reaction score
Lots of answers directly to the host question. I'll make a statement from a different point of view. I reckon you reached an intermediate stage of the skill.

Let me say that learning as such has certain patterns. Each lesson as a beginner takes more and gives more. The intermediate stage slows down investment and dividends. The expert stage is endless.

When learning a language as an adult, memorising the first hundred words is intense for a beginner and afterwards we can ask for food, clothing, shelter, medicine (like a caveman). Learning advanced grammar as an intermediate student only opens up several expressions. As an expert on language one becomes a poet, essayist or whatever.

With bonsai it's similar. A beginner's understanding of the special needs of trees in pot culture is important for the whole collection. An intermediate enthusiast's deep dive into the horticulture of a specific species will only bring benefit to a few plants in one's collection. The expert is trying to lead the game on growing or showing or grafting etc.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ALL THE BONSAI TODAY

INTO BONSAI FOCUS

BONSAI ART SCIENCE PHILOSOPHY-KORESHOFF

BONSAI MASTERCLASS

THEN MORE AND MORE INTERNET & ultimately a proper plant health course and I stopped killing trees.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I learned by myself by lurking here and online for a few years before I was lucky enough to find a teacher (I know, not what you wanted to hear). It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but finding a master to learn from has definitely accelerated my learning.

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sounds like I need to get my hands on bonsai today #1-100 and John Naka 1 and 2. Hopefully I’ll be able to join my local club soon, as I think having a teacher would really help me at this stage of my learning. I’m also setting some money aside for Boon’s intensive series, so I imagine that will be rather helpful. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and advice. I really appreciate it!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It sounds like I need to get my hands on bonsai today #1-100 and John Naka 1 and 2.
I've heard many top professionals (notably both Ryan and Bjorn) say that while Naka was revolutionary at the time, many of the techniques are no longer popular. Not to say that I don't have a PDF of them, but I wouldn't pay the exorbitant fees for them, I'd rather spend it on teachers and trees.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I've heard many top professionals (notably both Ryan and Bjorn) say that while Naka was revolutionary at the time, many of the techniques are no longer popular. Not to say that I don't have a PDF of them, but I wouldn't pay the exorbitant fees for them, I'd rather spend it on teachers and trees.
I totally agree

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lots and lots of trial and error. Starring at my trees day after day and trying to understand the life cycle and how they respond to my work. Endless questions on BNut (thanks to all for chiming in). Too many dead and mangled trees that were great teachers. And beer.

P.S. I have no idea what I am doing.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If practicing bonsai means playing with my trees, shaping them the way I want, and managing to still keep most of them alive is practicing bonsai correctly then yes I am.
Beyond that, I don't know what practicing bonsai correctly means.
I do know that my trees start to resemble, albeit just a tiny bit, the trees of the people that I admire in the past year or so.
I believe that I will need to attend some bonsai intensive courses to lift my skills to the next level. My trees are starting to gain in values both monetarily and emotionally since I've put so much time into them. I want to push them hard in the direction I like but I want to make sure they remain alive.

In the end, there is no better feeling for me than scratching my head looking at a tree for a long time, not knowing for sure what to do, then proceeding to make some bold moves to chop, split, prune, and then shape a tree, and then find the tree pleasing to my eyes.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They fall into one of these camps
1. They didn't wait and did it anyway. The trees likely die and they give up.
2. They decided to wait til spring and lost interest or their tree died before spring time.
3. They wait til spring and did it wrong and killed the tree, then they give up.
4. They wait til spring and did it right. They beat their chest and pat their back so hard, causing severe injuries and they die.

Last edited:

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
It sounds like I need to get my hands on bonsai today #1-100 and John Naka 1 and 2. Hopefully I’ll be able to join my local club soon, as I think having a teacher would really help me at this stage of my learning. I’m also setting some money aside for Boon’s intensive series, so I imagine that will be rather helpful. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and advice. I really appreciate it!
I would put your money with the boon intensive courses. Never had the time or money, he was my favorite even in the Bonsai today era.

I would not attempt to purchase bonsai today 1-100, at the time it was my only source of knowledge, it was my sole source of information.
In the bonsai today magazine were adds for other vendors, that’s how other vendors were found, great at the time.

Now for Naka 1 and 2 they will cost you some money, they are a good read and great to reference from time to time, just my opinion.

I have been to a few quote master bonsai work shops 3-4 hours, my opinion is, they sell you an over priced tree with too many students, no time to actually give you one on one advice and instructions.

Again this my opinion

Thanks

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nearly all of what I know I learned from a few people here at Bnut who were nice enough to answer my questions and help guide me. Early on I had what seemed like endless questions but the generosity of a handful of members was more than enough to help me first keep things alive, then keep them healthy, then actually try to work and make a tree out of them. In addition to being good people, I’ve often found most of my inspiration from their trees as well That we are all lucky enough to see on the forum.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Diver’s Top Ten

Study like the dickens!
Get lots of different trees, and different sizes. Be sure to learn each trees horticultural needs cold
Grow trees from scratch to learn how to style from new stock
Practice styling all basic styles - and styling theory - then push the envelope
Practice wiring and clip and grow. Then do these over and over
Take on new projects that really push your limits
Always Experiment - but with specific goals in mind
Volunteer with folks that are way better than you
Join a club - make lots of friends - then bring your trees, especially the dogs of the collection, to pro workshops
Finally, study like the dickens!

cheers
DSD sends

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Diver’s Top Ten

Study like the dickens!
Get lots of different trees, and different sizes. Be sure to learn each trees horticultural needs cold
Grow trees from scratch to learn how to style from new stock
Practice styling all basic styles - and styling theory - then push the envelope
Practice wiring and clip and grow. Then do these over and over
Take on new projects that really push your limits
Always Experiment - but with specific goals in mind
Volunteer with folks that are way better than you
Join a club - make lots of friends - then bring your trees, especially the dogs of the collection, to pro workshops
Finally, study like the dickens!

cheers
DSD sends
But how do the dickens study?
I follow them but all they do is dickens around in the back yard. If that is the way then I am doing it right. I dicken around in the backyard, going from tree to tree until dark practically every day.

Top Bottom