...How are juniper roots supposed to look?

Emmaface

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm starting to have doubts about the health of my juniper. :(
I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures while I was repotting. Before I repotted, the ends of the new growth were starting to look a little weak and dry. When I first got the tree a couple of weeks ago, it looked very green and healthy. I've been careful not to over-water, and trying to let it have good amounts of full sun and shade. When it started to look dried out and wilted, I was thinking the little pot I received it in wasn't sufficient for it, mainly that it wasn't draining well, since it looked perhaps like symptoms of overwatering.

When I repotted, I didn't think to look up how the roots ought to look. I did have some trouble getting it out of the pot - when I loosened up the sides and pulled it out, some clumps of soil and some very thin roots fell away. The root mass was very very soft and the roots looked nearly black. A quick google tells me that the roots are supposed to be firm and light in color.... Could this mean they were already unhealthy or maybe even dead?? Since I know nothing of roots, I didn't think anything was amiss. But the new pot hasn't helped, although it's draining beautifully, my tree is now looking less and less healthy. Now I'm worried it may have been sickly from the start, and just wasn't showing it yet. The repot may have stressed it more, but I don't believe it caused this, because it was already beginning to look weak before I repotted.

Is there anything I can do? Or if the roots are bad, is it doomed for sure? :( It was from a street vendor, but I thought they were from a local nursery so my hopes were kind of high. I know casualties are common for beginners, especially with mallsai.... but it was an anniversary gift, so it still makes me sad. :(

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A current picture of the tree would be a big help to us in helping you.

Black, mushy roots are root rot and not good at all.

Was the entire root mass like this?

Is all the foliage brown now? If not how much or is there still some green?
If there is still green foliage, is it crispy or still soft?

The only thing you can really do right now is wait it out. Water the tree when it needs it (when it dries out). Let it have some morning sun but keep it in the shade during the very hot part of the day.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Healthy juniper roots are usually reddish brown in color and firm to the touch, and the root tips should be fat and white (there should always be some of these during the growing season). If the roots break, the interior is white. The description of your juniper's root system sounds unhealthy/weak, and perhaps, even diseased or dead. Time will tell whether your tree will survive...often times the tree is dying or dead when purchased but, being evergreen, still looks fairly healthy.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are a few shots of healthy juniper roots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 213

Emmaface

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Brian, those photos are extremely helpful. Mine looked much much darker than that. :(

Here are a few pictures of how my tree looks today:

CAM02084.jpgCAM02085.jpgCAM02086.jpgCAM02088.jpg

It's looking more and more brown, and much of the new growth isn't as lush and fluffy as it was when I got it. Quite a bit of the needles are now brittle, but not all of them. Some do feel soft still. I'm using chopsticks to more accurately water. My fingers are crossed. :(

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think there might be some hope. I would do as I suggested in my previous post and just be careful to water only when they need it. If the soil you have drains well and doesnt retain alot of moisture, they should be ok.

Good luck

Emmaface

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've left it in a mostly shady spot, I've checked for water daily (it hasn't needed it until today) but more and more of the needles are yellowing and becoming very brittle. This morning I only felt two small branches that still felt soft. The rest is all crispy and the needles fall right off with just a touch. More needles are turning yellow, the furthest down the branches in the center of the tree. My fingers are still crossed, but I don't think it's looking good. We'll see I suppose.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Timing is everything in bonsai. We all learn this truth the hard way. Sometimes we "get away with" working out of season, but we really do not have control over trees' growth habits and must instead learn to work with them. Your description is of a dead tree, and I suspect it's from root work too late in the season. Welcome to the club!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't want to be negative. However, I believe the tree is already dead. With conifers, when the entire tree turns a different color out of season, it usually means it is dead. Also, notice how all the foliage is somewhat lifeless and kind of wilted. Conifers take a while to die. So this tree probably began dying maybe 1 month ago.

Rob

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just ran out and took this picture. Does yours look kind of like this? This one is barely hanging in there but I'm not holding my breath.
You win some and you lose some
I kind of like the way the color almost matches the collander .

Attachments

• IMG_20140617_213423_051.jpg
    IMG_20140617_213423_051.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 165

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just ran out and took this picture. Does yours look kind of like this? This one is barely hanging in there but I'm not holding my breath.

M. Frary, in the words of the great Roman Statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero "While there's life, there's hope." Looking at your pic I would say yours is beyond hope ... :(

ed

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Mike....I think this one let go.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Mike, your tree probably died about 2 months ago.

Rob

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hate losing them even after 50 weeks let alone 50 years. Unless it was one I started right now so that would put me at 100 . Then they could bury it with me.

Emmaface

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So this tree probably began dying maybe 1 month ago.

Rob

Yea, I figured as much. It was from a street vendor in a rock pot with no drainage - when I got it, I had no idea what that meant. Now I know!
I'm a little bummed out, but I'm definitely going to try again, and buy something that I know is healthy from a reputable place. I've been recommended to Dallas Bonsai, and I've heard good things about them.

Reaction score
When I repotted my juniper this spring, there were some thicker roots but all were dark brown. I didn't see any white. Since then most of the foliage has fallen off from the middle but outer branches are still ok. I'm wondering if it's not draining properly? I just really don't know if I'm watering too much or not enough. :-/

Top Bottom