Hoses and watering wands

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Nuts,

Looking to buy and non leaky hose and wand for myself this Christmas. What is everyone's must have brand of hose and watering wand? Anything that you believe is better than everyone else! Ha!

Thanks,

Sebastian

Can't go wrong with Hozelock. Love mine.

All my hoses and nozzles/wands were bought at Lowes or Home Depot.

Never had much of a problem with any of them. Usually get at least 3-5 years out of them before they start getting old from being out in the sun and weather.

The Masakuni watering wand is the best I've used/seen. I've got 3 or 4 Dramm heads and will use them occasionally, but the Masakuni (and likely all the Japanese(-styled?) wands) is (are?) fantastic.

Dramm Redhead is THE BEST nozzle. I won't use anything else. I need a wand, however. Best hose is Zero G.

As others have said, the Dramm Redhead is a great nozzle. I have switched to Flexilla hoses. I have found them to be the best and most durable.

The Masakuni watering wand is the best I've used/seen. I've got 3 or 4 Dramm heads and will use them occasionally, but the Masakuni (and likely all the Japanese(-styled?) wands) is (are?) fantastic.
MASAKUNI ... hands down my own go to. I do have a toggle switch to control on and off as an adapter to the hose. I do like that as well as a combined perk.

far and away the best watering wands are Japanese. I used to think otherwise and went through Dramms, Haws, etc. Used to think people were wasting their money on those Copper wands. But found over the years that none of those were as good as a Japanese purpose-built bonsai watering wand. The western equipment doesn't have the even, extremely fine flow and spray pattern. It sounds ridiculous, but if you use one, you will see what I'm talking about. No splashed soil or overspray and you can easily target specific areas. Masakunis are good, but they can tend to break since they have plastic components (but replacing them isn't all that expensive).

You might want to consider the higher end copper, stainless steel or brass Japanese wands. Kaneshin is what I have. You can find them on ebay and some specialty bonsai shops as well.

far and away the best watering wands are Japanese. I used to think otherwise and went through Dramms, Haws, etc. Used to think people were wasting their money on those Copper wands. But found over the years that none of those were as good as a Japanese purpose-built bonsai watering wand. The western equipment doesn't have the even, extremely fine flow and spray pattern. It sounds ridiculous, but if you use one, you will see what I'm talking about. No splashed soil or overspray and you can easily target specific areas. Masakunis are good, but they can tend to break since they have plastic components (but replacing them isn't all that expensive).

You might want to consider the higher end copper, stainless steel or brass Japanese wands. Kaneshin is what I have. You can find them on ebay and some specialty bonsai shops as well.
Food for thought when I need to replace mine. Won't lie...I've been hard on mine. I forgot and left it out one winter. The top popped off. Just stuck it back on never an issue...even after that. I dropped it off my deck onto concrete sidewalk. Never skipped a beat. And it fell a story below.
No leaking or any damage to be noted. But if I go to replace...I'll try and make a mental note of this. As I do love the spray this offers. The control...being OCD. Truly...is ideal when using.

Food for thought when I need to replace mine. Won't lie...I've been hard on mine. I forgot and left it out one winter. The top popped off. Just stuck it back on never an issue...even after that. I dropped it off my deck onto concrete sidewalk. Never skipped a beat. And it fell a story below.
No leaking or any damage to be noted. But if I go to replace...I'll try and make a mental note of this. As I do love the spray this offers. The control...being OCD. Truly...is ideal when using.
I've gone through a few Masakunis because I overtighten the plastic head, stepped on them and left them out in freezing weather (the freezes exploded the watering head--you're lucky the top popped off as it likely saved the rest of the wand from expansion damage. I've become more conscious of removing the copper one and bringing it in in cold weather. I also am a bit more careful about where I leave them during the growing season--i.e. not on the ground to be tromped on. 😁 If you like the control with a Masakuni, you will love the Kaneshin. If you get a replacement, get the longer versions. More control.

Also, don't be put off by having to modify the hose to install. It's not a big deal.

I've gone through a few Masakunis because I overtighten the plastic head, stepped on them and left them out in freezing weather (the freezes exploded the watering head--you're lucky the top popped off as it likely saved the rest of the wand from expansion damage. I've become more conscious of removing the copper one and bringing it in in cold weather. I also am a bit more careful about where I leave them during the growing season--i.e. not on the ground to be tromped on. 😁 If you like the control with a Masakuni, you will love the Kaneshin. If you get a replacement, get the longer versions. More control.

Also, don't be put off by having to modify the hose to install. It's not a big deal.
Thanks for the suggestion of the longer one. I'll put that in my notes.

Who knows...maybe I'll add it to my Christmas list. I am in need of nothing. I tend to buy when I need...I've no books even to ask for..as I just added one that would have been nice to have received as a gift.
Thanks appreciate the heads up on the longer version as well. Won't lie...the copper aspect and patina eventually intrigues me.

Thanks for the suggestion of the longer one. I'll put that in my notes.

Who knows...maybe I'll add it to my Christmas list. I am in need of nothing. I tend to buy when I need...I've no books even to ask for..as I just added one that would have been nice to have received as a gift.
Thanks appreciate the heads up on the longer version as well. Won't lie...the copper aspect and patina eventually intrigues me.
Kaneshin also makes one with an even finer spray pattern--"kyozen" that can be used with mame and shohin. It's also interesting what isn't said in the literature about copper. I've heard from bonsai nursery people that copper is vaued by the Japanese not only because it can be shaped easily, but because it offers anti-microbial properties to water flowing through it. Probably a myth, but who knows. Copper fungicide, etc.

Masakunis are good, but they can tend to break since they have plastic components (but replacing them isn't all that expensive).
Mine's not plastic anywhere. I've heard the welds are where they eventually don't hold up, but I'm about 4 years in on this one and doesn't seem to have any problems. I've had to straighten the rose out on it from dropping it a time or two, but doesn't seem any worse for wear. (I use the rounded handle of a screwdriver to coax dents out of it.)

I think the Joshua Roth uses plastic. I'll probably be going to Jonas when I do have to replace this one.

Hose: I use the flexzilla hose. This is also the same hose used by the three gardens I learn at.
Wand: Various Dramm models but currently the Kaleidoscope wand. These wands are currently my favorite, but be aware, Dramm's squeeze-type (as opposed to turn-closed) valve can get sticky over time and have trouble closing when you unsqueeze your hand (in other words, you've unsqueezed, but the valve doesn't close and water keeps flowing). So if buy-it-for-life is a factor, go for the turn-closed valve types with Dramm products.

All my hoses and wands come from Big Box Stores, just like Paradox. It might be time to check in with Santa to see if I have been good this year.

Mine's not plastic anywhere. I've heard the welds are where they eventually don't hold up, but I'm about 4 years in on this one and doesn't seem to have any problems. I've had to straighten the rose out on it from dropping it a time or two, but doesn't seem any worse for wear. (I use the rounded handle of a screwdriver to coax dents out of it.)

I think the Joshua Roth uses plastic. I'll probably be going to Jonas when I do have to replace this one.
You're right. Joshua Roth uses plastic (but it's just a brand name. It's tools are made in China by Ryuga. Don't know where they source their watering wands from). I do have a Masakuni wand, though. It's fine, has become leaky over the years from a worn out rubber washer, if I remember. It's easily repaired.

Any in perticular you can recommend? The ”Kyozen” looks nice…

Back
Top Bottom