Honing skills for the nationals

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Congratulations! Are you happy with how everything turned out? Did it even feel like four hours had past? I bet time flew for everyone in that competition

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats! Tree looks good. Can you tell us a little more about the event? How many participants were there? Was there an audience? Etc.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is the starter material chosen?

They had 10 trees, numbered. And 10 numbered tickets. Every participant (6) took a ticket, which determined the tree you had to work on. All material was from the same grower, of similar quality. Luck of the draw does come to play here.

Looks like you didn’t torture it to bad as well!

Scored 10/10 for keepin health in mind during the work; Impression of the jury was that the tree would have no problems dealing with the work done

Are you happy with how everything turned out

In the time given, yeah, I could not have done better (The jury did not agree, they hated my deadwood work: If you do not know how to do it, don't was the exact remark). And according to the jury I had a major flaw, mixing copper and Alu wire (Which I did not, but they failed to recognize brown copper wire as such..).

The whole thing was in a room separate from the main event. It caused a small audience. So during the last hour an announcement was made that we were finishing up. When I looked up in the last 30 minutes I realized some 50 people were in the room staring at us. :)

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow vary nice job! You should be vary proud with both the job you did and everything you have done to lead up too the invite. Congrats.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nicely styled, great work! Cool medallion as well, ya' gotta' drape it from your neck for a couple days.:cool:

What happened to the demo trees?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. Started working on skills for the Eropean Bonsai Association New Talent Contest, in Tsjech Republic next year. I am expecting to work on a reasonable number of trees till summer 2020.

Today I did this in ~ 4 hours

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good. Cleaning up the undersides of each pad will go a long way in this effort. Quick and easy, significant visual impact.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good. Cleaning up the undersides of each pad will go a long way in this effort. Quick and easy, significant visual impact.
THx. I know about the cleaning the bottom.. Challenge is.. This is nursery stock which they sell this season. So I cannot thin too much, nor take out too much: They should not revert to scale which is a bit of a risk with these first stylings. So I was asked to leave on floppy foliage.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After initial styling. Some more work needed on e.g., the deadwood but .. I needed to keep it for the guy wires!

Nov2020-6.jpg

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
Well,
a very challenging projekt according to the far, far away green of this juniper.
A good lesson for getting something out of nothing ...
Life is not perfect usually ...
'Would like to see more ...

Top Bottom