Honey Mesquite from seeds

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have started a number of different trees species from seed. I think the easiest are these honey mesquite. A bit of a pain to get to the seed. Removing the mottled coating on the pod, taking off the starchy white coating (sweet, and indigenous used for cooking), then splitting the seed coat to get at the seed. Finally a little nip with clippers on the seed itself pour boiling water over them and let sit for 24hrs. In 24hrs planted they were 1" tall and around 90% germination rate. Sounds labor intensive but not bad.

Attachments

• 20230724_162840.jpg
    20230724_162840.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230724_162935.jpg
    20230724_162935.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 4
What you do mimics what happens when a cow eats a mesquite pod. Germination rate goes from 20% (no cow) to 90% (in cow pie).

It's interesting that it mimics a cow's digestion. I wonder if it similarly mimics deer or elk eating the seeds. Honey Mesquite is native to Mexico and SW United States where cows are an introduced species so the seeds would have evolved with other large mammals but no cattle.

It's interesting that it mimics a cow's digestion. I wonder if it similarly mimics deer or elk eating the seeds. Honey Mesquite is native to Mexico and SW United States where cows are an introduced species so the seeds would have evolved with other large mammals but no cattle.
Any ungulate would work. Even introduced goats later. The seed I haven't figured out is the TX Mountain Laurel. The seeds are rock hard. Look like a red candy covered peanut. Have tried physically scarring the seed coat and soaking. I get them to swell up but can't get to germinate

These guys doing well but are getting leggy. I been getting direct morning sun but the afternoons have been too windy for them outside. Would repotting into some more organic substrate help with this?

Attachments

• 20230826_175654.jpg
    20230826_175654.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 3
These guys doing well but are getting leggy. I been getting direct morning sun but the afternoons have been too windy for them outside. Would repotting into some more organic substrate help with this?
Remember where they grow. They like they are a desert plant treat them as such. I've never tried germinating mesquite seeds but Texas Ebony requires that you dump boiling water on them and then let them soak 24 hours. This will yield close to 100%.

Back
Top Bottom