Honey Locust progression

Kaleb

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I was doing some work on an asparagus bed and found this honey locust (gleditsia tricanthos). I dug it out 2 weeks ago so I am hoping it is going to make it. I am still fairly new to bonsai but figured it was worth a shot since it needed to go anyway. Neat little feature at the base of the trunk, thank you all for looking.

Attachments

• 20230805_143906.jpg
    20230805_143906.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 35

Kaleb

Seedling
Reaction score
4 weeks ago today I dug it out of the asparagus bed. Hoping it will survive!

Attachments

• 20230820_122904.jpg
    20230820_122904.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 21

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @Kaleb, glad you found this awesome bonsai site! (It helps to put your location in your avatar box, in case you have questions later on.)

Your little tree looks like it is surviving. I always like to fiddle around with stuff like this that has to be gotten rid of anyway, why not learn on it? Just try to ignore your thoughts on "what shall I do next" while it recovers strength.

I know that, for many, locust tree leaves are considered too large for bonsai. I have several sugar maples that I dug up from my flower beds. The leaves are way too big but I like them anyway. They are definitely "sticks in a pot". My opinion is that if it's fun and helps you learn, then do it.

Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom