Hinoki Cypress (Thoweil)

CarpenterDiaz7

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello everyone, hope you are well. I picked up a couple of hinoki cypress at my local nursery, as I was searching for some fungonil.

My questions are: is it safe to work on these right now or wait till summer time? I plan to repot them next year, unless it’s okay to also do it now. also the foliage has white spots (pics included) is this typical of hinokis? Thanks in advance!

Best,
Carlos

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpeg
    IMG_1706.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1705.jpeg
    IMG_1705.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your Hinoki looks good and healthy. White outline/lines is normal. Given yours is very young, maybe hold off on pruning and allow primaries to mature until next Spring then do light pruning to allow air and light in to interior foliage.

Unless you want your cypress to remain very small, then you could do structural pruning now.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree looks young, and you'll probably just be doing some minimal scissor work and gently pulling branches down. It'll be fine as long as you don't leave the foliage threadbare. Plus, this is a small investment, so it's easy to take risks with it. Repotting should still be fine right now. Hinoki like to be repotted a little bit late. Mine were repotted a few weeks ago and are doing fine, so you should be within a pretty safe window. I would not style and repot simultaneously though

The white spots are typical. That's the underside of the foliage. Hinoki foliage is not omnidirectional like juniper, so pay attention to the orientation of if when you manipulate the branches

Top Bottom