here come the flat tops....

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
south african acacia 101.All of these are acacia sieberiana [paper bark].This species is not suitable for bonsai as the growth pattern is very irregular,however this is the desired shape of most african acacia bonsai.Species suitable for bonsai are:galpinii[monkey thorn],burkei [black monkey thorn,robusta ,nigrescens [knob thorn] + erubescens [blue thorn] imho... these trees are easy to grow but 99% of the time cannot be collected from the wild... If you hack the roots of an older tree it WILL die:mad:IMG_1144.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1148.jpgIMG_1155.jpgIMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1136.jpgIMG_1137.jpgIMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpgIMG_1151.jpgsome more-also all paperbark [sieberiana].all our species have thorns unlike Australia etc... The dead tree in the first picture shows the basic branch structure,there is not much refinement on the branches.....

IMG_1159.jpgIMG_1157.jpgIMG_1156.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpgand lastly some of my children-well almost......the wire tree i bought on the side of the road + shows the skill that some of our poorer black people have....i think that artist could be a pretty good bonsai man someday....

Thanks for sharing. I like seeing what people can do with native species and you have done some very nice work.

Back
Top Bottom