Here’s what I’m working with - new nut

Welcome

Nice start to your collection.

Please put your location on your profile.
A lot of bonsai advice is location dependent.
If we can see where you are, we can give you better advice.

I’m aware of several mistakes I’ve made already, but a picture is worth a thousand words so here’s some photos View attachment 550404
I repotted everything already this year, and not one is done 100% correctly, but I think I made enough mistakes to do a very good job next time I repot anything.

I have my zip code in my location, should I use zone instead?
No one is going to want to look up/search your zip code every time you ask a question.

If you are in the US or Canada, the nearest big city and state would be the most useful if you aren't comfortable stating your town if you live in a small area. The U.S. and Canada have very varied weather depending on where you are, even sometimes in the same state (ie NY where I am), weather can vary a lot. If you are in Europe, country will suffice.

No one is going to want to look up/search your zip code every time you ask a question.

If you are in the US or Canada, the nearest big city and state would be the most useful if you aren't comfortable stating your town if you live in a small area. The U.S. and Canada have very varied weather depending on where you are, even sometimes in the same state (ie NY where I am), weather can vary a lot. If you are in Europe, country will suffice.
Thanks!

I don't know what type of winter weather you have up there, ie: cold, ice, wind but it's never too early to start planning on what your plans are for overwintering your collection! Welcome!

I don't know what type of winter weather you have up there, ie: cold, ice, wind but it's never too early to start planning on what your plans are for overwintering your collection! Welcome!
I was thinking I'd take the Japanese maples into my shed and insulate them with leaves or something similar until I root prune in preparation for spring. The cypress will come inside over the winter and the junipers and birch will just stay in a safe part of the yard. I'll need to protect the birch from rabbits, they've already done some pruning on it.

If interested, look into the natives that make good bonsai as well. Local bonsai nursery or joining a local club is great for getting good info in your location for wintering as well as other useful tips. As well as finding tree’s and learning in general.

If interested, look into the natives that make good bonsai as well. Local bonsai nursery or joining a local club is great for getting good info in your location for wintering as well as other useful tips. As well as finding tree’s and learning in general.
Thanks! I’m on the lookout for native Acer Rubrum, Larix Laricana Thuja Occidentalis and Pinus Strobus. There is a club here and I have looked into it but not taken any steps to join yet.

people do some nice bonsai with Larix and Thuja from what I’ve seen with collected tree’s. The native white pine can be challenging from what I hear. Rubrum is nice but challenging to have a convincing bonsai due to the large leaves. The nice ones usually have a large trunk at least 3” and after defoliation the leaves grow back and reduce to a smaller size for the rest of the year.

All 4 of those tree’s require different techniques to maintain and develop. I personally was pretty ignorant to that when I started and it became hard to manage at first. Getting better though after 5 years.

people do some nice bonsai with Larix and Thuja from what I’ve seen with collected tree’s. The native white pine can be challenging from what I hear. Rubrum is nice but challenging to have a convincing bonsai due to the large leaves. The nice ones usually have a large trunk at least 3” and after defoliation the leaves grow back and reduce to a smaller size for the rest of the year.

All 4 of those tree’s require different techniques to maintain and develop. I personally was pretty ignorant to that when I started and it became hard to manage at first. Getting better though after 5 years.
I Like the idea of trying many species, and have already had to make 2 different areas in my yard for the sun lovers and the the ones who need shade. I've always had a fondness for Juniper and Japanese maple so I had to get those. The Japanese maple will need more attention to survive Minnesota winters for sure. Native plants will be easier to keep happy, and the Larix is very unique and cool in my opinion. Thuja is one of my favorite full size trees, and I love hanging a hammock in a cedar grove. I like the idea of my own little cedar, grown to look like the ones I see on the superior hiking trail. I would like to figure out where I can harvest some good ones, but I'm still early in my journey. I'll try to avoid it, but I'm sure I have a few more trees to kill before I start getting good at this.

I wish I could grow Larix but it gets too hot. For me it really becomes a burden having to baby a tree year after year. For whatever the reason a time can come up you don’t and it just dies. It’s still a lot of fun growing exotic’s though. But I am finding more connection over the years to the natives that were collected. Although I still have more exotics. Lol I think it’s a symptom of loving to grow tree’s.

I wish I could grow Larix but it gets too hot. For me it really becomes a burden having to baby a tree year after year. For whatever the reason a time can come up you don’t and it just dies. It’s still a lot of fun growing exotic’s though. But I am finding more connection over the years to the natives that were collected. Although I still have more exotics. Lol I think it’s a symptom of loving to grow tree’s.
I can relate already. I actually found a sugar maple in my alley and that kicked off this whole journey. I'm pretty sure I killed it, but it had a really nice natural movement and I'll leave it in a pot and see if it comes back. My point is that I get the draw of native trees, and finding one in nature (or my alley) with potential. I'll be playing with propagation techniques and likely get some more Japanese maples that way, but to find a tree that has natural features to love means beginning with an immediate bond to that tree.

I can relate already. I actually found a sugar maple in my alley and that kicked off this whole journey. I'm pretty sure I killed it, but it had a really nice natural movement and I'll leave it in a pot and see if it comes back. My point is that I get the draw of native trees, and finding one in nature (or my alley) with potential. I'll be playing with propagation techniques and likely get some more Japanese maples that way, but to find a tree that has natural features to love means beginning with an immediate bond to that tree.
Here’s the probably dead sugar maple. I removed the wire and left it in the white pot and put it in a nice shady spot that gets a little dappled light. It's a little embarrassing to post this. I repotted too many times, pruned too much too soon, and wired when I should have waited. Patience would have been smart. 1 major offense per year rule, learned. Preparing the correct soil and pot and planning how to secure the tree before repotting it, learned. There is a season for different types of training, and good times to do things to the trees and bad times to do things. I'm learning when those are for what trees.

Attachments

• IMG_9824.jpeg
    IMG_9824.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9825.jpeg
    IMG_9825.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9822.jpeg
    IMG_9822.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9823.jpeg
    IMG_9823.jpeg