Help with sick citrus

Wally5

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello! I'm very worried about my little tree. Approx. 4 years old, in pictured tropical bonsai soil mixed with peat moss. It's been losing older leaves, and I've been treating w/ dissolved epsom salts for magnesium deficiency for about a week, but I'm seeing little improvement. The tips of some new leaves are beginning to brown, which has me concerned. Any help is appreciated!
Note: I haven't been fertilizing up until recently, so the tree being so small is probably normal
IMG_1706.jpgIMG_1708.jpgIMG_1709.jpg

Not very familiar with citrus, but it appears this is being kept indoors. I would hazard to guess it needs more light, and now. If you add your location to your profile, it gives us a better idea of how to answer your questions. That way we know what season and growing zone you're in. I would recommend placing it outside in a shady area for a few days, and gradually increase the amount of sun it gets. I know that citrus groves get full sun all day long, so that is (most likely) the issue.
Also, the soil looks like it might be a little bit too fine, and holding too much moisture.
I'm sure more experienced artists will correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope that someone with citrus experience will be able to give you more accurate and detailed advice.

Not very familiar with citrus, but it appears this is being kept indoors. I would hazard to guess it needs more light, and now. If you add your location to your profile, it gives us a better idea of how to answer your questions. That way we know what season and growing zone you're in. I would recommend placing it outside in a shady area for a few days, and gradually increase the amount of sun it gets. I know that citrus groves get full sun all day long, so that is (most likely) the issue.
Also, the soil looks like it might be a little bit too fine, and holding too much moisture.
I'm sure more experienced artists will correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope that someone with citrus experience will be able to give you more accurate and detailed advice.
I'm in Central VA.
And what soil would you reccomend?

Something that drains very well, yet doesn't dry out right away. Watering is one of the most challenging and complicated parts of bonsai, in part because it seems so simple. It is affected by many variables: climate, humidity, season, species, etc. Many people use akadama, pumice, perlite, gravel, different types of bark. It depends on so many things; it's hard to give a definite answer.
I live in the Chihuahua Desert, so I need a soil/substrate that retains more water than you would need in Virginia. I'm still a beginner myself, but I'm reading and learning more and more everyday.

This thread has been invaluable to my understanding of soil physics, water retention, porosity, etc.

Also consider that leaves don't live for ever. Four years is a long time to keep foliage alive. It might just be natural shedding.

Something that drains very well, yet doesn't dry out right away. Watering is one of the most challenging and complicated parts of bonsai, in part because it seems so simple. It is affected by many variables: climate, humidity, season, species, etc. Many people use akadama, pumice, perlite, gravel, different types of bark. It depends on so many things; it's hard to give a definite answer.
I live in the Chihuahua Desert, so I need a soil/substrate that retains more water than you would need in Virginia. I'm still a beginner myself, but I'm reading and learning more and more everyday.

This thread has been invaluable to my understanding of soil physics, water retention, porosity, et
Thanks for the tips!

Also consider that leaves don't live for ever. Four years is a long time to keep foliage alive. It might just be natural shedding.
Yes, but my concern is the appearance of this on much younger leaves. The one pictured with a browning tip is a few months max.

Back
Top Bottom