Help with repotting Flame Tree

Plantnut

Seedling
Reaction score
So long story short, I purchased a kit from Amazon and sowed the seeds from the Bonsai Flame Tree, it's been approximately 3.5 weeks and they look good in my eyes, being new to this I'm not sure if I should repot in separate pots are leave a little while longer, I couldn't just pick one out of the 3 in the one pot..what should I do..
Please 🙏 advise any tips will be appreciated..living in NY20230913_053119.jpg
Thanks..
Plantnut..

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Very young seedlings can be transplanted almost any time. I'd transplant these into separate pots at that stage. Young seedlings can also cope with severe root pruning so don't worry if some roots break off in the process. In fact, I usually chop the long roots when I transplant seedlings at this stage to promote better lateral roots instead of a long tap root.

You loom well set up to propagate seeds so I guess you have a good light source to keep these healthy and stop them growing long and skinny?

Tip: add the NY location to your personal profile so it comes up automatically each time you post. Saves remembering and typing it every time you post.

Plantnut

Seedling
Reaction score
Very young seedlings can be transplanted almost any time. I'd transplant these into separate pots at that stage. Young seedlings can also cope with severe root pruning so don't worry if some roots break off in the process. In fact, I usually chop the long roots when I transplant seedlings at this stage to promote better lateral roots instead of a long tap root.

You loom well set up to propagate seeds so I guess you have a good light source to keep these healthy and stop them growing long and skinny?

Tip: add the NY location to your personal profile so it comes up automatically each time you post. Saves remembering and typing it every time you post.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated 🙏, I have been using a heated mat and grow light for 12 hours a day ..I also need to know what's the best size and style of pot to use, I have a few of these..see attached, they are 5" across and 4" deep, is this suitable or should I find a Bonsai type of long square and shallow pot.

Attachments

• 20230923_185320.jpg
    20230923_185320.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230923_185317.jpg
    20230923_185317.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Use whatever pot takes your fancy at this stage.
Be aware that smaller pots slow the growth and development of trees. Larger pots allow more growth so the trunk thickens and branches grow faster.
The idea of bonsai is not just to have a tree in a pot but to have an old looking tree in a pot. It could take 20 years for a seedling to start to look old if grown in a small pot. That time can be reduced to 5 or 10 years if the pots are a bit bigger and the trees are allowed to grow with only occasional pruning.
Those pots are probably a good size to allow some growing but not so large the roots can't fill the pot.
Shape of pot doesn't matter much either as we can easily prune the roots to change from one pot shape to another.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Be aware that smaller pots slow the growth and development of trees. Larger pots allow more growth so the trunk thickens and branches grow faster.
The idea of bonsai is not just to have a tree in a pot but to have an old looking tree in a pot. It could take 20 years for a seedling to start to look old if grown in a small pot. That time can be reduced to 5 or 10 years if the pots are a bit bigger and the trees are allowed to grow with only occasional pruning.
Those pots are probably a good size to allow some growing but not so large the roots can't fill the pot.
Shape of pot doesn't matter much either as we can easily prune the roots to change from one pot shape to another.
Agree. Because of the compound leaf that can be up to 18” long and cannot be reduced, flame tree bonsai has to be fairly large. Otherwise we will have a bonsai that looks good for inly a couple months a year when the compound leaves are young and look like branches.

Plantnut

Seedling
Reaction score
Once again thanks you all for the tips, and excuse me with all the questions..just so curious and excited to see the growth process of plants, I see most of my kids(plants) change daily it seems..on the subject of the repotting should I also continue to use the heating mat and grow light? And how deep down do I put the stems? Also the 2.lowest leaves, are they the shells of the seed that sprouted? One has fallen off, doesn't seem to be an issue.

You guys are great...👍

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The 2 lowest leaves are known as 'seed leaves' or more properly cotyledons. They are basically the inside part of the seed and containing lots of food to get the seedling started. When the tree has used up the food and grown some proper leaves they normally fall off. No problem.
Normally transplant seedlings about the same depth as they are now but that can be varied depending what roots they have when you transplant. A little shallower or a little deeper will not be a problem.
I would keep the heat mat and grow light. The seedlings don't need to have to make other adjustments to different light or temp while trying to get over the shock of a transplant. When they are growing strong you may be able to do away with the heat mat but that depends how warm the room is. You may need it through winter in NY if the room gets cool.
Trees see light very differently to us. They are adapted to strong light all day while we are basically cave dwellers or creatures of forest so are more comfortable with lower light levels. What we see as a well lit room the plants see as a dark cave. Grow light will depend on how much natural light you have available. My guess is you'll need grow light through most of each winter. These are tropical plants that have evolved with 10-12 hours of light every day all year. Most trees need much better light than is available in most houses even through summer. A really light room with big windows may be Ok in summer. Every room is different. Every area is different. You will need to see what your trees need at your place.

Plantnut

Seedling
Reaction score
The 2 lowest leaves are known as 'seed leaves' or more properly cotyledons. They are basically the inside part of the seed and containing lots of food to get the seedling started. When the tree has used up the food and grown some proper leaves they normally fall off. No problem.
Normally transplant seedlings about the same depth as they are now but that can be varied depending what roots they have when you transplant. A little shallower or a little deeper will not be a problem.
I would keep the heat mat and grow light. The seedlings don't need to have to make other adjustments to different light or temp while trying to get over the shock of a transplant. When they are growing strong you may be able to do away with the heat mat but that depends how warm the room is. You may need it through winter in NY if the room gets cool.
Trees see light very differently to us. They are adapted to strong light all day while we are basically cave dwellers or creatures of forest so are more comfortable with lower light levels. What we see as a well lit room the plants see as a dark cave. Grow light will depend on how much natural light you have available. My guess is you'll need grow light through most of each winter. These are tropical plants that have evolved with 10-12 hours of light every day all year. Most trees need much better light than is available in most houses even through summer. A really light room with big windows may be Ok in summer. Every room is different. Every area is different. You will need to see what your trees need at your place.
Thank you so much for this valuable information. I'm so glad to have found this site. Very very helpful and informative.

Top Bottom