Help with decision for local show

Sixty’s

Mame
Reaction score
Hi folks, in a couple weeks my local club is having an annual bonsai show, mainly to allow member to share what they have been working on to other members of the club and the general public.

I don’t have any finished tree for that matter although this year they are allowing “trees in training” to also be displayed.

I need help to decide between two options:

Option 1.

Just bring the tree in a plastic training pot.

IMG_6811.jpeg

Options 2.

Hide the pot in a composition

IMG_6856.jpegIMG_6860.jpegIMG_6859.jpeg

Option 2 is not fully finished yet, there is some staining needed and the moss in there now is just spare, I have a tray of moss on the side to keep it fresh.
Would I need to add anything else with option 2?
It’s my first time and looking to gain some more knowledge from this experience.

Our club tries to have a developing bonsai display at our shows to help members of public understand that bonsai don't just happen. If possible we put in a series of trees of same or similar species to show the different stages.
I know it would be way cooler to display a tree in a proper bonsai pot but if the show committee will allow you a space for the tree in a plastic pot I'd encourage that. If possible add some words about why it's the odd one out. Maybe also display the new pot beside the tree?
A couple of weeks is not very long. No doubt you can finish the pot in that time but it looks shallower than the current plastic pot. Does that mean reducing the root ball to transfer the tree? Not sure how much experience but I'd be reluctant to root prune with the leaves on. Next year is not too far away to show off your tree in the new pot.

Our club tries to have a developing bonsai display at our shows to help members of public understand that bonsai don't just happen. If possible we put in a series of trees of same or similar species to show the different stages.
I know it would be way cooler to display a tree in a proper bonsai pot but if the show committee will allow you a space for the tree in a plastic pot I'd encourage that.

Hi, yes they are allowing it in the plastic pot in a section for to display trees in training, over the weekend I was messing about and thought in doing a pot to hide the plastic container and thought in asking here if option 2 would be better. I believe it would still stay in the trees in training section.
If possible add some words about why it's the odd one out. Maybe also display the new pot beside the tree?
A couple of weeks is not very long. No doubt you can finish the pot in that time but it looks shallower than the current plastic pot. Does that mean reducing the root ball to transfer the tree? Not sure how much experience but I'd be reluctant to root prune with the leaves on. Next year is not too far away to show off your tree in the new pot.
It’s still in its original pot as I didn’t wanted to mess around with transfers etc.. not worth the risk imo. It’s easily removable from options 2 and present it in original plastic pot.

IMG_6849.jpeg

If it were me, I'd bring the tree in its training pot to make it clear that it's a tree still in training.
It would still be in the trees in training section, was just wondering if the presentation would be better vs plastic pot. I have never done this before as there is many more experienced folks on here I look forward to honest opinions.

I'd say take both but leave them separate. Make an entire "composition in development" display with both an unfinished tree and an unfinished container.
Drives the idea home that bonsai is a process, and one that can encompass a very wide range talents.

I think that display is a very cool idea. You can switch out trees that are growing in the same sized training plastic pots. brilliant!

I like Shady's idea:

I'd say take both but leave them separate. Make an entire "composition in development" display with both an unfinished tree and an unfinished container.
Drives the idea home that bonsai is a process, and one that can encompass a very wide range talents.

Hi folks, in a couple weeks my local club is having an annual bonsai show, mainly to allow member to share what they have been working on to other members of the club and the general public.

I don’t have any finished tree for that matter although this year they are allowing “trees in training” to also be displayed.

I need help to decide between two options:

Option 1.

Just bring the tree in a plastic training pot.

View attachment 552732

Options 2.

Hide the pot in a composition

View attachment 552735View attachment 552733View attachment 552734

Option 2 is not fully finished yet, there is some staining needed and the moss in there now is just spare, I have a tray of moss on the side to keep it fresh.
Would I need to add anything else with option 2?
It’s my first time and looking to gain some more knowledge from this experience.
That composition is very cool. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom