Help me NOT kill my dog!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I'm getting on my soapbox about puppies...Allowing puppies (even pups over a year old and up to two even) free run of the house and the yard is not only asking for destruction, but possibly endangering the life of the puppy.

I've had bull terriers for almost 30 years now. They are tremendously destructive, hard-headed and curious. They require care that basically prevents them from killing themselves though misadventure for their first three or four years of their lives. Eating things that get stuck in their bowels is a relatively common form of self-inflicted death, as is electrocution (chewing wires in household sockets).

Crate training, barriers, pens, etc and essential tools for puppies and dogs. Might even be mandatory for some breeds. Over the years, my bullies have taken their toll on my trees and house--one ate--as in ATE AND DIGESTED--a mame boxwood, another chewed a 5 ft. diameter hole in my drywall while I drove 10 minutes to the 7-11. Another chipped off the powder coating on the tubular steel of exercise bench with his teeth...

I've learned to put tree up on stands, or on shelving out of their way (also helps with other critters). I don't use much organic pellets for fertlizer, or God Forbid, fish emulsion (even see what 65 lb bull terrier does to a bonsai when they roll on one because they like the stinky funky smell of the emulsion?) I use puppy pens and crate train so the dogs aren't running around loose when I can't be there--would you leave a two-year-old child to have the run of the house/backyard while you're not there? Crates are NOT cruel, if you understand how to use them. In fact, they are quite the opposite. They become the dog's space, the only one he/she can truly call their own. My dogs seek their crates out when they want to be by themselves or get away from things.

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have an 18 month old 80# standard poodle whose energy level astounds everyone who's seen him.
I'm 71 and took up running again to try to keep him exercised enough. We live in a neighborhood with many old trees, especially red and white oaks. There are always large branches falling on the streets where we walk, and I've seen him pick up 2-1/2" diameter 'sticks' 10 feet long to carry on our walks. He doesn't go very far with that size but the determination is there.
For the first 6 months after we got him, he was either on a leash under my control or he was staked with a cable leader in the yard with a radius that kept him out of beds. While on leash I taught him what he could play with or not. He now just follows me everywhere while I'm tending to bonsai or weeding the vegetables.

Still, if I know I can't keep an eye on him, he gets placed back inside the house.

Last winter when temperatures were below freezing for days, he found a chunk of solid ice about the size of a thick 1 pound ribeye, and carried that on our walks again and again.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Crates are NOT cruel, if you understand how to use them. In fact, they are quite the opposite. They become the dog's space, the only one he/she can truly call their own. My dogs seek their crates out when they want to be by themselves or get away from things.
100% agree on this, all our dogs are crate trained. Whenever they don't feel good or feel threated (except the darn Schnauzers, nothing threatens those suckers) they go into their crates. They also go into their crates while we are not home.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@rockm I don't feel that crates and kennels are cruel WHEN USED CORRECTLY.
Juju here was kennel trained by his original owners, but he has a bit of dysplasia in his hips from too much, "training," and was overweight and as tenderfooted a dog as I've ever known when I got him. Hell, with my bad knees I had greater endurance than he did when we started.
Now I'm hoping that plenty of freedom and exercise will correct the dysplasia since he's still young, but those general conditions are what I see all too often with kennel trained dogs, and I'll avoid it.

I don't believe kennels are inherently abusive, I just prefer not to use them, and can think of only one dog I've had in my life that might have needed it to avoid too much destruction: a 2 year old Siberian husky who would bring home the leftovers of neighbors' chickens. We gave her to another family when we had to move and couldn't bring her. All the others learned better eventually.
I like big, clever dogs, German shepherd mixes being my favorite. I won't have a destructive breed. Keeping a dog locked up defeats the purpose as far as their place in MY life goes.
I have stuff to do today, but will be working on benches and fences afterward, with the full intention of being down the fence eventually.

Capsaicin spray all over your trees.
Fool me once, never again.
Something like this is what I was thinking about, just hoping to find something more persistent when it's raining.

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When our young dog took an "interest" in chickens I got a low voltage electric fence from Tractor supply. Tested it on myself. Wasn't bad. Watched him get it a couple times. Backed him off 3 or 4 steps and then he just stared at it. After about 3 months I turned off the power but left all the yellow insulators in place. Never used it again. Been 11 years.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
People have been telling me to get a dog to solve my squirrel problem. Uh, maybe not......
Pick the right dog for your lifestyle, and be patient. At their worst, they're cheaper and less destructive than kids.

Can't imagine my life without a big furry pal! As soon as he got home he wasn't going anywhere.
That's the point of the thread I guess. What's the best way to keep him around?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Maybe a motion activated sprinkler. A burst of water as a corrective, and he learns to stay out of your trees. Bonus, the plants get watered.

Just turn it off before you go to work on your trees.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My dog came to me about a year ago. It's young (about 2 years I guess), but I made it clear to her in the beginning wich were her toys and wich mine (all but her toys). She spends most of the time in the backyard, and never tried to destroy or even aproach my bonsai, wich are very reacheable for her.
So bonsai is not incompatible with all dogs. I guess some education can solve a problematic behaviour....

yo.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been wanting to get a dog, but now I remember the horror inflicted by my dog several decades ago. Thanks for the warning. My cats are only a very minor annoyance compared to what dogs have put me through.
Seriously though, I am really so sorry Shady. As you can see there are a plethora of answers from all the well intending folks here, but dogs are so strongly individualistic, and each persons solution is not all inclusive. Dogs are really just too damn much like people. It seems to me that your situation really requires keeping your dog and plants apart when you are not there with them.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I fully agree with @rockm.

Crates are an essential tool for dog training and keeping your sanity with a high energy dog. My dogs also like thier crates and are only in them when we can't watch them. When they get old and mature enough not to be destructive, they get more time out of the crate. Eventually we hardly use it at all.

If you choose not to use one and can't watch the dog every second, then the fate of your trees and other stuff is on you. Don't make the dog suffer for what you won't do. Find a way to keep them apart or you might have to make a hard decision (as much as i hate to say it) between the dog and bonsai.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Big downpour for a while, and everything soaked half to death, so maybe not today, but I'll be working on fences and benches.
He was doing alright for a few weeks there, even kept my sister's dogs out of trouble when I was watching them. When they left and then my kids left for a week with their mom, I think he just got a bit out of sorts. He's clever and trainable, and I know I absolutely should be spending more time with him, so I'm not giving up, or even making permanent arrangements.
He's smart. He'll learn.

Maybe a motion activated sprinkler. A burst of water as a corrective, and he learns to stay out of your trees. Bonus, the plants get watered.

Just turn it off before you go to work on your trees.

I'll have to look into this, but hopefully not necessary. It would fit right in with my watering setup.
If I actually need it this year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Pray he is more shepherd than husky

I'm a proud husky owner but they sure are fluffy evil!

If not you may be lucky and he could grow out of trying to piss you off in 7 or 8 years

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
the dog in my avatar, is my 13yr old shiba inu, my treasured buddy. When he was 1-4 he was a firestorm, but now he is super well behaved. He can wander my garden and not attack any trees. (maybe because the breed is japanese?) I would say that you should bench your trees higher, enjoy your dog, and enjoy your trees safely. Later on, after year 4-5, you can trust your dog more.

That being said, when i was outside watering right now, he peed on my carpet in my computer room

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know he must be a good boy 99% of the time… my dog loves fertilizer cakes 19CF0637-1607-49E3-A011-5BC95DD90098.jpeg
Here he’s saying oh thank you for letting me rip up the paper towel roll.. when can I have more of your tasty fertilizer cakes… lol since I started using the tea bags poked w toothpick he leaves it alone.. and a hearty “leave it” won’t hurt. When he was about 8 months old he chewed an electrical wire which shocked him , I rushed him to the vet and he was fine but ever since then he avoids any wires like the plague.

Top Bottom