help ID bald cypress problem

bendem

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi folks -

I've got around 20 bald cypress trees that are each two years old. They all get a lot of water (they're currently in shallow tubs). All of them look good except for this one that just took a turn for the worse. I moved it out of the tub for these pictures.

Any guess what the problem is?

I've got more of these trees than I initially planned, so it's no problem if it's a goner. But I'd like to get a handle on the cause so I can get ahead of the issue with my other BCs. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230907_090843.jpg
    20230907_090843.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230907_090858.jpg
    20230907_090858.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230907_090915.jpg
    20230907_090915.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 41
It looks like it got dried out between waterings. I had one completely brown out and drop all its leaves. It’s budding back out.
Thanks for your reply. The tree sits partially submerged in a little tub with three other trees that look well. I had been thinking there might be a different cause.

Hi @bendem, sorry to read about your BC. I have had the same trouble this year, for the first time, with my Dawn Redwood forest. I think the terrible heat we had this summer was more than it could take. There is another thread here on BNut about that: "Dawn Red wood wilting out of the blue" IDK how to make a link but you can use the search function.

I have nine trees in my little forest, and 6 wilted very rapidly and are now crunchy, while the other three are doing fine. When I do a scratch test, the branches still show green so I am hoping it will yet recover.

Hi @bendem, sorry to read about your BC. I have had the same trouble this year, for the first time, with my Dawn Redwood forest. I think the terrible heat we had this summer was more than it could take. There is another thread here on BNut about that: "Dawn Red wood wilting out of the blue" IDK how to make a link but you can use the search function.

I have nine trees in my little forest, and 6 wilted very rapidly and are now crunchy, while the other three are doing fine. When I do a scratch test, the branches still show green so I am hoping it will yet recover.
I had one BC and two D Redwoods browned out this year. Both set in water dish. Both are now recovering too. What makes me think the OP’s was due to a dry spell is I have a small BC and it too sits in a dish of water. I let it get the slightest bit dry and it starts browning from the top down. I do agree with you that the heat more than likely was a factor as well. It’s been hotter than hades this year.

Hi folks -

I've got around 20 bald cypress trees that are each two years old. They all get a lot of water (they're currently in shallow tubs). All of them look good except for this one that just took a turn for the worse. I moved it out of the tub for these pictures.

Any guess what the problem is?

I've got more of these trees than I initially planned, so it's no problem if it's a goner. But I'd like to get a handle on the cause so I can get ahead of the issue with my other BCs. Thanks!
Still looks healthier than a lot of the BC around here. Under heat stress the BC seedling tender tips are susceptible to break in xylem. I have had tips that turn brown after I bent them just a little bit. Usually they recover just fine but every now and then the tip just die.

Back
Top Bottom