Harry Lauder's Walking Stick

You have!

Now I don't even like that tree!

It seems easily made better.

Like we're hiding behind the beauty of the branching and forgoing actually using those branches to make a nice bonsai.

Sorce

So in the spring, go out and get one of these and show us how it's done.

So in the spring, go out and get one of these and show us how it's done.

Why wait till spring?

It's a balmy 35F in the garage.

Sorce

What's your point?

Going to get one in spring has absolutely nothing to do with the available improvements on this one.

Nothing at all whatsoever.

Spite talk.

Sorce

Going to get one in spring has absolutely nothing to do with the available improvements on this one.

Nothing at all whatsoever.

Spite talk.

Sorce
Feel free to go out and get one today, then. Mail order one, I don't care. You don't like the example given that was in the National Exhibition, what would you do differently? Take that photo of the tree and show us a virt. Show us something other than words.

I want to TYPE, about how....

The best of a species could be better but is limited by the fact that it is the best of its species.

Can't make a virtual of that.

I said "it seems easily made better".

I use seems on purpose.

Do you not think it seems so?

It is an invitation to look at it yourself, more critically than you would because it is on the cover of Bill's Magazine, or because it was made by a "Master".
Neither of whom this lacks respect for by the way.

You just have a twisted way of making it SEEM so. Congrats on typing before you think. Biggest problem with this form of communication is that is so subtle, the thinking part, since we don't know when you may have read the post. All we can know is, the shit you say sounds ... Childish?

Meh.

Sorce

I do love these trees, always have, but (and please forgive my ignorance) what makes this tree a masterpiece? They are ten a penny over here really and this example looks very similar to how they grow naturally. I’m just struggling to see the refinement so can anyone shed a light please? They are on my wanted list.
I agree this masterpiece doesnt look much different than the average specimen size Corylus avellan Contorta AKA Corkscrew Hazel being sold in our garden centres. Theyre interesting as a winter/early spring image but the downside is they look a bit of a mess when theyre in leaf as the foliage is often curled and distorted and doesnt look in scale for Bonsai IMHO!!

Theyre interesting as a winter/early spring image but the downside is they look a bit of a mess when theyre in leaf as the foliage is often curled and distorted and doesnt look in scale for Bonsai IMHO!!
Yeah, I only really enjoy mine winter and spring. They are really not very attractive at other times.

I want to TYPE, about how....

The best of a species could be better but is limited by the fact that it is the best of its species.

Can't make a virtual of that.

I said "it seems easily made better".

I use seems on purpose.

Do you not think it seems so?

It is an invitation to look at it yourself, more critically than you would because it is on the cover of Bill's Magazine, or because it was made by a "Master".

You just have a twisted way of making it SEEM so. Congrats on typing before you think. Biggest problem with this form of communication is that is so subtle, the thinking part, since we don't know when you may have read the post. All we can know is, the shit you say sounds ... Childish?

Meh.

Sorce
LOL...back to the diarrhea I see.

I stood in front of the tree at the show. My response was in person, not based on it being on Bill's magazine. It was very impressive, I came around a corner and it was there and it was beautiful. A classic example of designing based on the traits of the species rather than forcing it into something resembling a "bonsai".

So "it seems easily made better", I'm waiting to hear about that. Just like in the other thread - you went to radio silence when I asked you to actually explain something rather than just throwing random verbiage out there.

BTW, you really seem to think you're smarter and more "subtle" than most of the rest of us. It seems not to be the case.

Merry Christmas.

I agree this masterpiece doesnt look much different than the average specimen size Corylus avellan Contorta AKA Corkscrew Hazel being sold in our garden centres. Theyre interesting as a winter/early spring image but the downside is they look a bit of a mess when theyre in leaf as the foliage is often curled and distorted and doesnt look in scale for Bonsai IMHO!!
Yeah, I thought the leaves were really unattractive which is part of why I decided to just plant mine in the garden. Of course, I could always change my mind and dig it up in a few years. We'll see.

BTW, you really seem to think you're smarter and more "subtle" than most of the rest of us. It seems not to be the case.
I didn't think so at one time but now I realize he is smarter and more subtle than most of us. Sometimes and unfortunately a bit too subtle.

True.

I can well understand that at a show, having seen tree upon tree of heavily manicured beauty, this tree would stand out as being something of an eye catcher. All I was wondering though really is if this is deemed a masterpiece because it is uncommon and unlike most trees you come across or if there is lots of work put in to make it look like it’s natural form. How big is it, for example? Is it the composition with accents that sets it apart from nursery to bonsai pot? Personally, I’ve rarely seen them with nuts on, so is this a sign of maturity that is carefully nurtured?

I would love to see one properly made as a ‘true’ bonsai just to see how it conforms, but maybe this example is as good as can be mustered with such an unruly species.

Exactly, but maybe as an aside to my points above, perhaps the leaves were in fact closer to scale on this one? Then again, maybe I’m looking for what isn’t there and the artist just wanted to display something different. Still, I will be attempting to see what I can eek out of a specimen at some point in the near future. Such a fun plant, and to think it only spawned because a bit of fungus.

There were no leaves on it. Intentionally, I'm sure. The beauty in this is the winter silhouette.

I don't see why one would even want to try to "properly make one as a true bonsai". You'd be wiring to remove natural curves and twists in the branches, what's the point of that? Just use something that grows with straight branches (basically everything else) if that is what you want.

There were no leaves on it. Intentionally, I'm sure. The beauty in this is the winter silhouette.

I don't see why one would even want to try to "properly make one as a true bonsai". You'd be wiring to remove natural curves and twists in the branches, what's the point of that? Just use something that grows with straight branches (basically everything else) if that is what you want.
Clip ‘n’ grow baby! If wire isn’t needed, don’t use it. It may not be ‘right’, but I’d be interested to see what could be done, otherwise you’re just sticking a plant in a pot and from what I can tell, that ain’t bonsai.

Clip ‘n’ grow baby! If wire isn’t needed, don’t use it. It may not be ‘right’, but I’d be interested to see what could be done, otherwise you’re just sticking a plant in a pot and from what I can tell, that ain’t bonsai.
So you don't think Boon's tree was ever pruned? It grew exactly in that shape by itself? I don't know if any of it was wired (@Adair M , do you know anything about the work Boon has done to this tree?) but I'm sure it's been pruned based on certain design principles.

So you don't think Boon's tree was ever pruned? It grew exactly in that shape by itself? I don't know if any of it was wired (@Adair M , do you know anything about the work Boon has done to this tree?) but I'm sure it's been pruned based on certain design principles.
I’m sure it has been pruned, but it’s not inconceivable that it did grow in that shape by itself, having it’s roots restricted and all. I have a couple of straight hazels which have been together in a 5l pot for at least 7 years, in poor sandy soil and they are clearly stunted, barely a foot tall each and leaves have noticeably reduced. They seem healthy, have had no pruning (in fact have been totally neglected) and are perfect little short noded, miniatures as a result. Unfortunately, I have no pictures, but for an otherwise extremely vigorous species, this suggests to me that compaction can be achieved through allowing them to become pot bound.

Boon has had it for years. He likes to have unusual trees for variety from the standard fair of JBP, junipers, and tridents. I’ve never seen any wire on it, just clip and grow. All the curlyques are natural.

As for it being a masterpiece... has anyone seen a better one in bonsai cultivation?

@coh, do you have pictures of this tree from the nationals? Im curious what it would look like against a different color background.

Its difficult to judge this tree against such contrast, because, imo, its less about the tree for me and more about it's impact on the negative space.

If the tree showed more intentional pruning which highlighted specific curly branches in a way which drew the eye to a specific point or a specific trunk, perhaps then I would consider this masterful instead of simply unique and interesting. Perhaps it does do that in person, though.

Back
Top Bottom