Harry Lauder's Walking Stick

This is in no way traditional but I find it very interesting to look at. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for this one.View attachment 180514

Interesting subject. I’ve seen one other of these in exhibition. I thought you might like to see it.

4103B54B-23CB-4F19-9118-9D72A1685117.jpeg

S

Interesting subject. I’ve seen one other of these in exhibition. I thought you might like to see it.

View attachment 180517

S
That is really nice. I am interested to see how to apply some bonsai techniques to this tree. I know that it is not a typical tree so typical techniques will not work. It will be an interesting journey, to say the least.

I picked a large one up from a nursery last year... pretty expensive... it was like 3-4 feet tall. It had 4 trunks... instead of just chopping off the 3 I didn’t need I did some pretty substantial root work to cut and separate em. They all budded and looked healthy for about 3 months and then by end of summer they all went downhill and died. I kept it cause it’s so interesting. I was thinking of taking something like star jasmine and wrapping all around... not a tanuki, but just and interesting vine over tree thing.

Attachments

• FC47DC22-297C-4791-8F29-9ED450A42AD9.jpeg
    FC47DC22-297C-4791-8F29-9ED450A42AD9.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 57
Pick a line any line...

But pick a line!

Any beauty in the lines of the twiggy ones get lost in that ugly twiggyness.

Keep em separated.

I think a lot more can be brought out of the 2 examples....

And yours has an option to go good...
Or..."overly overly"? Its not really "overly done" cuz it seems not much was done.

These call for a utilization of a good trunkline do to the contorted nature, then attempts MUST be made at actually making a pleasing image afterwards.....
Which may actually mean using wire to uncontort branches..

These may be interesting now....
But if we haven't gotten over it since beginning to read this, and looking back at the pictures.....

When there are 3-5...10 sitting in a show together....
The gimmick will be gone, they will no longer be interesting, amd we will have to actually make attempts to make them look cool.

Start now!

Pick a line. Sniff it!

Sorce

Pick a line any line...

But pick a line!

Any beauty in the lines of the twiggy ones get lost in that ugly twiggyness.

Keep em separated.

I think a lot more can be brought out of the 2 examples....

And yours has an option to go good...
Or..."overly overly"? Its not really "overly done" cuz it seems not much was done.

These call for a utilization of a good trunkline do to the contorted nature, then attempts MUST be made at actually making a pleasing image afterwards.....
Which may actually mean using wire to uncontort branches..

These may be interesting now....
But if we haven't gotten over it since beginning to read this, and looking back at the pictures.....

When there are 3-5...10 sitting in a show together....
The gimmick will be gone, they will no longer be interesting, amd we will have to actually make attempts to make them look cool.

Start now!

Pick a line. Sniff it!

Sorce
I definitely plan to. I want it to get hella healthy before I take to much off. I also was reading up on them and apparently, they should not be pruned too heavily until after they flower.

I've got one on it's own roots. I overpotted it into a bonsai pot last year and it is just starting to bud out. Last Fall it actually had a few hazelnuts....

I believe that this one is on its own roots as well. The buds on mine are starting to turn but we have a few days of cold coming so it may slow things down a bit

I've always wondered bout these, I've seen a couple cool ones that maybe i'll pick up.

I picked a large one up from a nursery last year... pretty expensive... it was like 3-4 feet tall. It had 4 trunks... instead of just chopping off the 3 I didn’t need I did some pretty substantial root work to cut and separate em. They all budded and looked healthy for about 3 months and then by end of summer they all went downhill and died. I kept it cause it’s so interesting. I was thinking of taking something like star jasmine and wrapping all around... not a tanuki, but just and interesting vine over tree thing.
Ungrateful trees that die after you've invested well intentioned work on them should be BURNT !!! :mad:

The twigs are short-lived and subject to winter-kill. Hard to keep styled...

Here is Boon's masterpiece Harry Lauder's Walking Stick on the new cover!View attachment 275296
That was one of my favorite trees at the 2018 National Show. Partly I think because it was so unexpected, but really neat tree. Inspired me to go out and find one at a garden center (though I eventually put it in the ground, too many projects)

I do love these trees, always have, but (and please forgive my ignorance) what makes this tree a masterpiece? They are ten a penny over here really and this example looks very similar to how they grow naturally. I’m just struggling to see the refinement so can anyone shed a light please? They are on my wanted list.

anyone shed a light

You have!

Now I don't even like that tree!

It seems easily made better.

Like we're hiding behind the beauty of the branching and forgoing actually using those branches to make a nice bonsai.

Sorce

They are awesome plants. I have a large one that I thought I might bonsai but it is very unruly. You almost have to stand next to it with pruners in hand watching it grow.

I have 3 of these and next Spring I am BIG time looking to style these well... I’ve a larger one which I hope I can do more multi trunk but 2 others, smaller, 1 will have 2 trunks, 1 will be my literati that I’ve been looking for..
I’m looking forward to it!
they are all on normal hazelnut root stock Ibelieve but no noticeable graft point so I don’t care..

they are slow growing by the way. But outside that, they seem fairly tough and can be treated like a standard deciduous.

they are slow growing by the way. But outside that, they seem fairly tough and can be treated like a standard deciduous.
I have one purchased last spring in a 5 gallon pot. It is in about a 10 gallon ceramic pot now. It at least doubled its size this year. Of course it was fertilized and such and not treated like a bonsai but like an ornamental plant. I bought it to bonsai but it grew so fast that I have changed my mind at this point. Also, during the summer the foliage looked kind of ratty. It suckered profusely as well and all of the suckers have the contorted growth.

A friend of mine said when he was a kid, there was a barber in Porterville, CA who had a sprig of Bermuda grass in a jar that covered the entire front window.
Barber called it "Okie Ivy." 😄

Back
Top Bottom