Harland boxwood

Brady D

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m wanting to buy a Harland boxwood, however I would like to know how difficult it is to grow one I’m a somewhat beginner to bonsai but have grown houseplants for years. I’ll attach a picture below of what I’m wantingD7B565DC-CF5B-46F4-A379-AF8B1E038B08.png

I would say easy.

That one seems WAY overpriced. I got one from a nursery and one from Lowes and they look similar to the one in the picture.

On both of mine, I heavily root pruned and repotted into bonsai soil.

Basically, I'm suggesting that you can achieve what is in the picture very easily and for much less cost and also get to practice repotting, root reduction, etc.

The Harland variety is never cheap. It is also not winter hardy. It is a more tropical variety but I am not sure what zones it will work in.
You might consider a Kingsville Boxwood as they are winter hardy.
Harland does have great trunk color and texture.

The Harland variety is never cheap. It is also not winter hardy. It is a more tropical variety but I am not sure what zones it will work in.
You might consider a Kingsville Boxwood as they are winter hardy.
Harland does have great trunk color and texture.
Could you take them inside during the winter

I would say easy.

That one seems WAY overpriced. I got one from a nursery and one from Lowes and they look similar to the one in the picture.

On both of mine, I heavily root pruned and repotted into bonsai soil.

Basically, I'm suggesting that you can achieve what is in the picture very easily and for much less cost and also get to practice repotting, root reduction, etc.
Can you repot them during the summer?

From what I've read, spring or fall is best. Although you can repot in summer, it's best in spring or fall when coming out of or entering winter dormancy.

I have one and it seems bulletproof. Seems to usually be flowering with very miniature white flowers and is just an easy keeper. Mine is shohin sized and is several tiny trunks fused together. That prices seems crazy high to me, but I bought mine from a side of the road kind of guy who's moved to another unknown location.

Back
Top Bottom