Hard to design this Thuja occidentalis

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This tree was collected in 2010 and this week got it's first real wiring. There is still lots of growing and cutting to do to replace the remaining floppy foliage with the nice tight stuff, but it is about half way there. The thinning and wiring is an important step to getting there.

This tree is a real head-scratcher. Obviously the current design is not balanced. The apex needs to be brought at least over the base in order to balance the heavy leftward movement of the trunk. This would probably only be possible with an angle change but that would hide some of the massive flaring base - which is the best feature of the tree.

So what do do? I don't know. The current design is where it will be for some time. Maybe in the future I will explore a solution like Nick Lenz's "Downhill Skier". That tree (see below) has a very similar lower trunk and he took a creative solution to the problem.

If anyone else has a better design solution for this unusual trunkline, I would love to hear it!

Most recent image:
yDPWKbz.jpg

Image from 2013:
ijHJh4p.jpg

As collected, fall 2010:
4WRBLho.jpg

And Nick Lenz's brilliant solution to a similar problem. Compare the lower trunk of this larch to the lower trunk of my cedar:
elSbJDN.jpg

I suck at photoshop:
6efcU1F.jpg

Sweet base! I can see you don't want to hide any of that. No suggestions for styling solutions from me, go for the skier, looks good.

Your title made me think of a new bonsai saying though, maybe a t-shirt, your tree could be the logo and the caption-

BONSAI
"if it was easy it would be called topiary".

Probably sell like hot cakes at a bonsai convention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vin
Here is what I think. I think it's absolutely beautiful as is. Like you said, an option would be to tilt the tree, this might improve the image. However, you will loose some of that incredible base. Maybe just a slight tilt like your virt.

None of the movement is too extreme in that it outgrows the composition. It is the movement of different parts that all form one balanced image that make this tree special. I feel that an attempt to "correct" this, might take away from the tree.

Rob

Last edited:
Nice tree. Love that base and graceful trunk. I've been fiddling with (meaning wiring/trimming) a problem thuja recently and was wondering if this was a good time to be doing that kind of work. Since you're not too far away, I guess I should be OK.

Chris

I don't have a solution. let alone a 'better solution'. Therefore I know you don't want to hear from me, but ...

What is that heavy vertical thing in back? I find it very attention grabbing (distracting?). It makes me think this is a thuja in back with a piece of deadwood standing in front. It confuses, confounds. and irritates me. What is the point (i.e., what is your artistic message - that what goes around comes around)?

The foliage, on the the other hand is nice - it just needs to be on a tree that makes some kind of sense.

Maybe this really isn't the best front for the tree.

Maybe looking at some of Dan Robinson's gnarly trees would help you to solve it.

If you get board of crimping over the top and flattening it you could always graft on hinoki and do this.
UeT3CtY.jpg

Displayed this tree in a local show last week for the first time since collection. Still a bit rough and needs a nice pot, but I am happy with the overall design. Need to sort out the jins on the top. The display table is really for a maple or something, but this tree is big and it is the largest table I have.

adKUfwQ.jpg

Displayed this tree in a local show last week for the first time since collection. Still a bit rough and needs a nice pot, but I am happy with the overall design. Need to sort out the jins on the top. The display table is really for a maple or something, but this tree is big and it is the largest table I have.

adKUfwQ.jpg

Great tree Aaron! Well designed and rather unique with the two trunks. Happy to see you posting here again and I hope to see you exhibiting at the Nationals this year?

Is there a way you can eventually have the left area be a little less mounded?

Great tree Aaron! Well designed and rather unique with the two trunks. Happy to see you posting here again and I hope to see you exhibiting at the Nationals this year?

Is there a way you can eventually have the left area be a little less mounded?

Thanks Sergio! Yes, I'll be there for sure with the Canadian contingent. We are bringing some trees as a part of a "special display"again (not eligible for competition). Hoping to see you there and some of your amazing trees.

When you say less mounded, do you mean better pad definition on the left side? Or making the slab of the foliage more extreme?

Holy hell! This is an awesome tree!

I think Sergio was referring to the soil line on the left side of the tree/pot being "mounded".

Holy hell! This is an awesome tree!

I think Sergio was referring to the soil line on the left side of the tree/pot being "mounded".

Durrrr.... that makes sense :) thanks for the clarification .

I think by the next repot the mounding can be reduced. The mound contains lots of root that is directly connected to the front live vein. Thuja are incredibly tolerant of drastic root work I have just wanted to give some more time for those roots to strengthen as they still had some field muck in them that was just removed when the angle was changed.

Wow! An amazing tree from a piece of material that gets a somewhat bad rap as a "Bonsai" subject, (Thuja).
Starting to see some real nice work coming from Canada lately. Great work by you, as well.
Really a fantastic image you have actualized!

Nice three point display, as well. I wonder if the bottom of the scroll was even with the table if the display would "look a little more settled"? Or something like that. But then you would need a longer scroll....so...Just curious as I don't know much about display and would like to learn a bit more. It's kinda' fascinating, in a weird, nerdy way!:p

This tree must look wonderful in "person"!!:cool:

Thanks Sergio! Yes, I'll be there for sure with the Canadian contingent. We are bringing some trees as a part of a "special display"again (not eligible for competition). Hoping to see you there and some of your amazing trees.

When you say less mounded, do you mean better pad definition on the left side? Or making the slab of the foliage more extreme?

Good to hear Aaron! Looking forward to catching up at the Nationals. Some great stuff you Canadians are producing! I just got a big thuja from Suthin and I will need to pick your brain when I see you. I do love them!

Again great job with that tree! ;)

Thanks Sergio, I am looking forward to it as well. I saw that thuja, it is pretty badass! I think you will enjoy working with them. I will introduce you to some other Canadians who have many years more experience than I working with thuja. They are insanely labor intensive, but IMO one of the best native conifers.

Hard to design this Thuja occidentalis better.:)

Back
Top Bottom