Guidelines for selecting appropriate display stand

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone have any guidelines for selecting appropriate stands to trees/pots? I understand the length of the stand to the size of the pot aspects however selecting a stand that goes along with the tree and pot escapes me.

-Jeff

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I was thinking of a shorter stand with stout legs for this tree might look appropriate.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    445 KB · Views: 81

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you google "choosing a bonsai stand"?

Did you "search" bonsai stand here?

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Did you google "choosing a bonsai stand"?

Did you "search" bonsai stand here?

I actually did but I thought a thread about something other than to pinch or not might be nice for a change.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True, but if this forum were 100 members there would be only 5 with stands. That may still be true with 5000 members. My point is there is much written on the subject already and archived here and many blogs, why make someone type it all again just to have someone who has never even owned a stand argue about your recommendations.

http://bonsaistudygroup.com/bonsai-stand-discussion/choosing-a-shoku/

http://www.artofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630

https://bonsaial.wordpress.com/the-art-of-display/

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If I were to recommend an article on stands, I'd recommend the bonsai study group piece by Al Keppler.

I probably have 20 stands, most fairly small because I preferred the little trees. Now that most of the little ones are gone, I have a bunch of tiny stands going to waste. BUT, I also have a friend here who builds marvelous stands, so I have new, finely crafted stands to borrow if I need them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do youself a favor, get a book and read. Asking about an esoteric subject like matching a stand to a tree, or a pot to a tree online is akin to asking a crowd of 10,000 "does this tie go with these shoes?" The responses will be as varied as the crowd's clothes. It's an endless topic that is easily confusing. You need to get your bearings before asking what others think.

Buy or borrow this book to get a start on the basics:
http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/bonsai-kusamono-suiseki-by-willi-benz-bk81/
Read stuff online too.
http://www.bonsaimary.com/Bonsai-Display-Tables.html

ttp://www.artofbonsai.org/feature_articles/rolestand.php

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Do youself a favor, get a book and read. Asking about an esoteric subject like matching a stand to a tree, or a pot to a tree online is akin to asking a crowd of 10,000 "does this tie go with these shoes?" The responses will be as varied as the crowd's clothes. It's an endless topic that is easily confusing. You need to get your bearings before asking what others think.

Read stuff online too.

These are the types of responses that I was hoping for. Was not looking for "buy this stand to go with that tree", just wanted pointers from people whose opinion that I value and not some random posting on the internet. I want to make an educated decision on a display stand before I drop a few hundred dollars on a purchase.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I want to make an educated decision on a display stand before I drop a few hundred dollars on a purchase.

If you are wanting to become a serious student of matching tree to stand, "a purchase" won't do it. I know bonsaiests with several hundred stands gathered over the years and they STILL complain that can't find the right stand for tree "X".

If you scroll thought this thread -- http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t11997-valavanis-autumn-tokonoma-display -- you will see Bill Valavanis' room full of stands.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
If you are wanting to become a serious student of matching tree to stand, "a purchase" won't do it. I know bonsaiests with several hundred stands gathered over the years and they STILL complain that can't find the right stand for tree "X".

If you scroll thought this thread -- http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t11997-valavanis-autumn-tokonoma-display -- you will see Bill Valavanis' room full of stands.

Sounds like it is kind of like pots, you can't have too many of those either. I had actually come across that photo when I Googled Bonsai display stands the other day.

Reaction score
I agree with some of the previous posts, that you will get a million different suggestions of everything under the sun...
Make that a million and one, cause I will throw one at you, that with smaller trees, which this appears to be, far to often they are lost at shows because they are placed on small stands... bring it up closer to eye level, if you want someone to actually stop and look. Older folks are not going to get down on their knees to look at your tree. As far as design, color and line weight that's up to you.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree with some of the previous posts, that you will get a million different suggestions of everything under the sun...
Make that a million and one, cause I will throw one at you, that with smaller trees, which this appears to be, far to often they are lost at shows because they are placed on small stands... bring it up closer to eye level, if you want someone to actually stop and look. Older folks are not going to get down on their knees to look at your tree. As far as design, color and line weight that's up to you.

Sawgrass,

The picture is a bit deceiving since I took it close to the tree. This is a 14 inch pot and a four inch truck so it might look a bit odd on a small stand. :)

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do know that if I wanted a quality stand I would try to get an Al Keppler creation. He can do killer work.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I do know that if I wanted a quality stand I would try to get an Al Keppler creation. He can do killer work.

Now that is a good suggestion.

Al,

The pot is 14 x 10.5 x 4 in inches.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score

Read stuff online too.

For those who might be interested, Stone Lantern has Bonsai-Kusamono-Suiseki on sale for $9.95 with an additional 25% off.

http://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_display_book_Bonsai_Kusamono_and_Suiseki_p/b1willi.htm

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Last fall I had a standard sized tokonoma built into my living room. It's helped me grasp the concepts of proportion, color,design and white space. I prefer this type of display as opposed to those at most bonsai shows, where the trees are too crowded and even the best display can easily be overlooked. my point, besides reading...doing,practice,where you can see cause and affect.
The book I would recommend is David De Groot's principles of bonsai design...recently released...and covers many such topics well.

What the toko has caused me to delve into is, understanding japanese cultural things so i can begin to understand the refinements to toko display. Once grased, I've begun to translate them into amricn mindsets so visitors can begin to grasp what is deing said. I'm also in the process of acquiring more american trees to use for display. For example, here in the pacific Northwest
native americans have a deep reverence for yellow cedar. Their homes, baskets etc were made from this tree and makes for an interesting display.

I have more scrolls and tables then I have room to store them, yet in many circumstances I'd wish i had something in a different topic, size,width,color etc :)

It's been a fun journey, And like the japanese i try and make improvements daily.....

One last point.....is what I've learned being an apprentice to a japanese teacher. In both japanese garden design and Koi. The power of observation. Americans i think want things handed to them. apprentices with japanese trachers are expected to get things themselves by watching, seeing ...etc ( example: where i volunteer at the bonsai museum, many expect the curator to teach them how to wire. In Japan your given a pair of wire clippers and a tree with wire biting in that the master had wired. An american would be insulted to do such meanial work, japanese would be honored and would really study how the master's wiring was done. Go to as many bonsai shows as you can and see what they did that worked for that display. Observe.....hopefully you can find another to accompany you
to bounce things off of and get another way of looking at things.....In Zen thought, things are always changing, as sudents of japanese hobbies, culture, we should be open to the concept.

apologise for the long ramble, hopefully someone might pick up something helpful.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The pot is 14 x 10.5 x 4 in inches.

That coupled with the height of the plant certainly is important but you must consider the height of the display it will be on as well. You want it to be easily viewed and unfortunately that height is often not the same everywhere. That being said you might not need a single stand but a few at different heights.

Grimmy

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Bill V will tell you that if you are showing an old hoary tree, it does not want to be sitting on a brand, spanking new stand. Stands develop a "patina", too.

You can NOT have just one.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Stand use and selection seems to have two overlapping criteria: The exercise of Japanese bonsai display traditions (tokonoma-based) which tomes have been written on, and one based on principles of design with the assumption the stand is part of the composition(similar to the assumption the pot is part of the composition). I remember years ago a bonsai judge being beside himself because he was having to judge scroll-less and stand-less trees. He was sickened. It was offensive to him to see them displayed out of the frame he was so use to. It was as if it hurt his eyes and such a relief to see one displayed within the Japanese guide lines. At one point he grabbed a stand and quickly rearranged a display table and said, "THERE" with great relief. The sad truth was the trees and the original display was horrid and the rearranged setting was equally bad. One of the frustrating things about competing in bonsai is that often the judges disregard trees that do not adhere to Japanese traditions of overall display. Personally I think that art display is a vast and amazing venue but that judging bonsai trees in America should be restricted to pretty much just to bonsai trees.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only criteria I seem to find is... whatever you choose, people will have something they don't like about it. The next judge will see the same thing and say the exact opposite. Start chasing your tail, you'll have better luck, but at least you'll get some exercise.

Top Bottom