Greetings from PA

sm00th

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First post by a newbie, please see the attached- my modest porch collection.
What should I do with my tall, leggy Japanese maples on the stand; three of them?
On the left, I have a mature leggy red maple that involves grafting trials to fill in the barren lower trunk.
THANKS.
Thanks.6 24.jpg

Can’t tell exactly from picture but are the trees getting enough sun? Almost look like they are under a covered porch but maybe that’s vantage point of picture. Hopefully others give better advice but seems like some added sun could be helpful

Well, a hearty Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut @sm00th!

What you are asking is a somewhat complicated (two part) question.

It all depends on your goals for these trees. If your were like me a number of years ago, I’d say, “To make a bonsai”. It was a start 😂

In short, here are a couple things to think about:

- Do you want a graceful, feminine composition or a robust somewhat masculine composition?

For a couple of the trees your hands are tied already. Anything not bendable with wire needs to be systematically chopped to grow out tapered sections. btw about now, when the leaves have hfully hardened is the best time. Search the site for maples and @MACH5 or @Brian Van Fleet for starters, although there are plenty other members good on maples. Btw maples aren’t necessarily the easiest bonsai to start with, but if you are dedicated and focused you’ll eventually do amazing.

For the others wire them up in graceful bends now. But check out a numbers of images first.

- When are the roots going to be worked?…. Don’t do the same year you chop…. One major insult a year. But better sooner than later.

- Can you consider these trees as practice trees? Often beginners start by thinking each of these will be an awesome bonsai. Likely not… but they will lead the way to awesome bonsai if one is focused on the end result.

Lastly can you hunt down local resources to help?

Here’s a link to the very best Japanese Maple starter resource (by far) that exists. The book would make a great Father’s Day or Birthday etc gift.

Bonsai Maples

Looking forward to seeing your maples progress!

Cheers
DSD sends

First post by a newbie, please see the attached- my modest porch collection.
What should I do with my tall, leggy Japanese maples on the stand; three of them?
On the left, I have a mature leggy red maple that involves grafting trials to fill in the barren lower trunk.
THANKS.
Thanks.View attachment 550006
FWIW, grafting isn't really necessary to fill in long unbranched sections. Deciduous trees "backbud" using resting buds within the bark/cambium of the tree. Damage or loss of a limb or trunk portion above a resting bud, induces that bud to sprout and become a branch or trunk extension. That capability is one of the fundamental tools used by bonsaiists to create trees. So, hard pruning into old wood can force new branching below that cut.

FWIW, grafting isn't really necessary to fill in long unbranched sections. Deciduous trees "backbud" using resting buds within the bark/cambium of the tree. Damage or loss of a limb or trunk portion above a resting bud, induces that bud to sprout and become a branch or trunk extension. That capability is one of the fundamental tools used by bonsaiists to create trees. So, hard pruning into old wood can force new branching below that cut.
This is what I'd look to do with these tall leggy trees. (at the proper time of year to get the most backbudding of course) but before you start chopping these down, it's best to let them grow freely to get the trunk size closer to where you'd like to have them. Taper is a big part of what makes a "bonsai". Ground growing is the way a lot of people gain girth on the trunk as you will see if you look at @Brian Van Fleet posts. These may be good candidates for tall willowy feminine trees, and good trees to learn how to wire on. Good luck and welcome!
Oh and do put your location in your profile so we can give you good advice for your climate.

Back
Top Bottom