Grafted maples

timhutson1

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello. This is my first post here. I am just getting into bonsai and have a few trees but really want to start building for the future (since I am only 30, I figure that I have time on my side). I want to get some really nice stock, cheaply, that I can work with down the road. I was thinking about getting a few young trees from nurseries (I have a good Japanese maple nursery near me - "Davidsans") and use them to clone cuttings from, airlayer, and potentially trunk chop and use for bonsai. I am looking at some dwarf and normal varieties.

Is this a good way to go about it or should i just buy seedlings instead?

Is it worth buying these trees at all since they are all grafted or is it a waste in time?

Any advice is appreciated.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Tim..
Welcome.
First please update your profile so we know where you are located. This will help folks guide you to clubs, nurseries, exhibitions and give specific advice on care and growth habits of various trees for your climate zone.

I would recommend getting what is called pre bonsai materials. These are trees that are usually a couple of years in, from air-layer, cuttings or seed that have been grown with Bonsai in mind. Attention to trunk and root development etc.

Without knowing your location, I can't yet recommend a local supplier.

I have gotten some great material from Mark Comstock (pre-bonsai Mark) find him on Facebook and PM him.

I also just received some cherry blossom cuttings from Bill V. - at International Bonsai.

Search this site and you'll see a list of great vendors.

Members here will steer you in the right direction.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Many people have donor trees. It's not a bad way to gain multiple stock of certain varieties. Unlike some (including myself), you have time on your side so it's just a matter of preference.

timhutson1

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, I have updated location in my profile now. How about grafted Maples? Do they, in general, have the potential to still be great trees or are you much more likely to run into problems such as the disproportionate growth or an unsightly scar. I understand that this can be an even bigger problem for some cultivars like dwarfs. How about rough bark varieties, are grafted trees always going to look bad at the base since there is an abrupt change from the rough bark at the graft site?

In addition to these grafted trees I was planning on getting a few bare root seedlings and other seedlings from reputable online dealers that were suggested on this site.

I do like the idea of having these acting as donor trees but it would be a definite plus if I could eventually use the parent tree as a good bonsai.

The varieties I have at the top of my list are Arakawa, Ibo Nishiki, Shin Deshojo, Shishigashira, Yuri Hime and Kiyo Hime. Also, I want to get a Trident maple to work with as well. This might help answering my questions or if you have any other suggestions for your favorites please let me know.

Top Bottom