Goliath BC

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really?

This interests me!

I just started growing them, up here... Testing the "bottom" of their hardiness range. 🤣

Is it very dry by you, or too hot.. or what?

I'm intrigued.

I am not as cold as Michigan but they have been found growing in NY and Pennsylvania.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Batman agrees with you.
LMAO. At least the rest of the trees in my yard have trunk envy. They refuse to even get watered with the BC they are so embarrassed. I tell them it's not the size of the trunk but the movement - the Koto Hime isn't speaking to me.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
LMAO. At least the rest of the trees in my yard have trunk envy. They refuse to even get watered with the BC they are so embarrassed. I tell them it's not the size of the trunk but the movement - the Koto Hime isn't speaking to me.
I have his brother from Zach. Now start saving for a pot big enough for it, assuming you can find one. Mine is still in a plastic tub while I look.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I believe @John Geanangel to be the BC guy in the Us currently. He’s got the experience and the trees to back up my claim.

Well.... I am not sure about all that but thank you sir! I Beleive you were along for the ride when I collected that big one pictured above.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The tree looked a little sad early this season with leaves turning brown and such, so I didn't do anything with it this year other than get it healthy and growing. Looks like it's fine now. I will start work next season.

Attachments

• BC3.jpg
    BC3.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 98

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good for sure... this year has been weird for my BC's, lots of yellowing, looking almost chlorotic. Going to have to check the pH as @Cajunrider did, this could be the reason. On a side note, since it's been extremely hot this summer I hold off on fertilizing as I did last year, so that may be another factor.

Bonsai Turtle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looking good for sure... this year has been weird for my BC's, lots of yellowing, looking almost chlorotic. Going to have to check the pH as @Cajunrider did, this could be the reason. On a side note, since it's been extremely hot this summer I hold off on fertilizing as I did last year, so that may be another factor.
I take it from your comment that fertilizing during hot weather is contraindicated...am I right?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I checked on conditions of BCs in the area. Listed below is what I found.
1. BCs planted on dry land (parks, parking lots, road side) 80% has some level of browning or bronzing if you want to call it for BCs. There are very few that are lush green.
2. BCs grown in swamp 10% has some level of browning. Those that have brown leaves are often standing alone in open field. The one grown closer together are greener, (less sun?)

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I take it from your comment that fertilizing during hot weather is contraindicated...am I right?
Yes, you should hold off until the heat starts to subside. The rationale is that fertilizer are salts, salts draw water, and they will compete for water with the roots. Especially in zones that are very hot and induce a summer dormancy. Shorth thread but with good info.
I checked on conditions of BCs in the area. Listed below is what I found.
1. BCs planted on dry land (parks, parking lots, road side) 80% has some level of browning or bronzing if you want to call it for BCs. There are very few that are lush green.
2. BCs grown in swamp 10% has some level of browning. Those that have brown leaves are often standing alone in open field. The one grown closer together are greener, (less sun?)
I noticed this as well, but this year, even my BC's in full water have shown some "bronzing". Last year there was none at all.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, you should hold off until the heat starts to subside. The rationale is that fertilizer are salts, salts draw water, and they will compete for water with the roots. Especially in zones that are very hot and induce a summer dormancy. Shorth thread but with good info.

I noticed this as well, but this year, even my BC's in full water have shown some "bronzing". Last year there was none at all.
I am seeing the same thing on the few dozen BCs I have. My suspicion is the higher pH tap water I use to water the tree cause a rise in pH in heavy heavy watering.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am seeing the same thing on the few dozen BCs I have. My suspicion is the higher pH tap water I use to water the tree cause a rise in pH in heavy heavy watering.
yes... but that wasn't the case last year. I don't test the pH at the house often, I do test the TDS because of my DI system for rinsing cars and to estimate the filter change for the RO system for drinking water. Could be a freak year when it comes to water? Either way I need to dig into it and see if it can be remedied easily.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Zach Smith was kind enough to share some BC development notes and was more than happy for me to share here.
In the second frame of the first picture, the first note says "something" leader, but I can't quite make it out. Sever? Select? thanks for helping me read, and thanks for posting, this is a great schema to follow.

Top Bottom