Gnarly cherry in gnarly pot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I love the idea and the pairing with the burl but I think the visual weight of the burl is too high - the tree looks tiny to me. Is there a way to split the burl in ~half to better balance the size and/or do additional plantings on the rest of the burl, maybe I’d say an accent plant to go with the tree? I just feel the tree itself gets a bit lost in what would otherwise be a fantastic gnarly pairing :/

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is really incredible. I think it will be extra special once it’s settled in, maybe with some moss to make it look more like a mountain, and some styling to enhance the pairing.

I love making good of roadside refuse.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I quite like the looks of this. Hopefully the wood will hold up to rot fairly well. It makes it seem like a lonely tree growing among some gnarly rocks. I think that the wood on the left side of the image is a little too prominent though. Shaving the top third of it and replicating the shape should help preserve the image.

I would suggest adding some sort of barrier between the burl and the substrate to try and preserve the planter for as long as possible.

Or better yet, make a cast of the burl and either make a planter in the same essence from clay or concrete.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
well that came together well - The burl may not hold up in a year or two with so much water that our tree's need - maybe turn it into a coffee table and sell it for $$$ - got to fund our bonsai's somehow :)

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well that came together well - The burl may not hold up in a year or two with so much water that our tree's need - maybe turn it into a coffee table and sell it for $$$ - got to fund our bonsai's somehow :)
I'm betting with the fire finish (shou sugi ban) it'll last three or four years. Doesn't matter. I can do something else with it next year if needed.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm betting with the fire finish (shou sugi ban) it'll last three or four years. Doesn't matter. I can do something else with it next year if needed.
I recall hearing charred wood helps preserve it longer. But I'm all about enjoying the hear and now. Looks cool blackened as it is.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Me gusta!
The burl looks very natural in your composition. You found something interesting to the eye and put it to good use, that’s resourceful!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hard cut back is coming after the flowers are done.

Top Bottom