Ginkgophiles of the world unite!

I have a couple ginkgoes that I have been neglecting. Pardon the new organic fertilizer experiment, which seems to be working well if it looks a little poopy.
The pond basket is from seed and I think there is some bulk under the soil. It has been in the pond basket at least five years, so probably time (in spring) to dig it up chop it back and expose some ugliness.
The other I purchased a couple years ago , pretty cheap, and have not really done anything to since...4D7E9C32-B719-4D00-BE8B-5A1F99543399.jpeg84D7B769-5E71-4ECC-AE67-363E72A674FE.jpegDCA5B319-B14F-4BDD-9DF2-58C727F730E4.jpeg

G is a leggy species that takes forever to grow into the form of your choice. It does not lend itself to wiring. It takes forever to ramify, if it can be said to ramify at all in the normal sense of the word's use. Pick a form, or outer limit and clip & grow within those boundaries. Your tree is fairly wide now, especially compared to most which grow like a family of telephone poles. They will not ramify at all unless you keep them in bounds, and they take their time anyway. To keep them tight, see below. First photo is last year hard pruning is tighten up profile intending to force ramification.
G CC 070219 post.JPG
GCC 2020_0624 (1).jpg

GCC 2020_0624 (2).jpg

GCC 2020_0624 (4).jpg
GCC 2020_0624 (6).jpg
GCC 2020_0624(9).jpg
Gcc 2020_0721 leafing out.jpg
GCC 2020_0727 Refoliate (1).jpg
GCC 2020_0727 Refoliate (2).jpg
GCC 2020_0727 Success.JPG
New branches kept short by cutting extending twigs back to 2 buds, or 3 buds if internodes are closer. The sooner you can tell that one leaf in a cluster is extending into a twig, the shorter you can keep the internodes of the new twigs. I waited too long this time. (I didn't notice it was happening even though I was trying to force this to happen)

I dont have any pictures to show. Yet. Ginkgo's are one of many of my favorite trees. I hope to get one one day. Tried rooting from a cutting and it didn't work so I will either try more or see if I can find a suitable nursery ginkgo. Also love the different varieties within the ginkgo family such as the varigated ginkgo.

Wire it green or all the branches will grow straight up. A telephone pole with cell antenna...

I do not agree with Forsoothe too much, because it can still be useful if the telephone network break down ...

A hundred years from now when there are no more telephone poles (my generation called them telegraph poles when we were young), people will say, "...that's like a Ginkgo tree" when they see something too straight...:rolleyes:

Yes thank you Forsoothe I got that right and I agree with you it was an attempt on my part to do some humor but once again it didn't work 😔 .

@ kevinlovett86, it is possible to put ligature wire but it must be monitored regularly to avoid making traces on the branches.
I find it quite complicated strain to tie off as the branches are very close to each other and the leaves drop quickly as soon as you touch them with your fingers or wire.

You can weight them down with loosely woven cheap cotton string when they first emerge. Wet the string to add weight. When they are green and young they take a set in days. When you get them into a horizontal position you can wait until they are a little thicker and still green to give them some character. Make a wire spring-like cage to guide them through a path without actually having the wire impinge upon the green ~wood~.

@Forsoothe! @jaco94
I carefully wedged pieces of chopsticks in there to point the branches more outward, figures that will put the least strain/scars on delicate growth because they look like they’ll snap right where they grow out the trunk

It has a pretty clean graft so perhaps it is a dwarf. Or it may have been defoliated, intentionally or not, that resulted in reduced leaf size.

That looks like a poorly designed and maintained G. 'Case Manhattan' which is one of the smallest. It looks like it was very recently defoliated. It looks shaggy because the relative size of the petiole is out of proportion to the leaf. The leaves are longer than the petiole when they fully grown.

Sure enough, it looks like the "Manhattan Chase" variety I didn't know.

I think it could turn into a not-so-bad little bunjin.
The silhouette is very light and the taper is good, I will have to give a more natural aspect to the jin.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Bunjin would be a waste of a superior cultivar. When it drops its leaves you can wire the branches into some kind of tree-like arrangement. Right now it's a lop-sided weedy lollypop . It could clean up into a design more closely associated with Ginkgo (we can't see the third dimension), or extend the tips of canopy into an Italian Stone Pine shape...
gcm 2.JPG
Italian Stone Pine.JPG
Or, not.

Back
Top Bottom