Ginkgo - where to chop?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm not super new to bonsai, but I took a break for the last 5 years or so while raising small kids, and I'm now getting back to it. While I'm not new, I recognize I still have a ton to learn. I left several trees neglected in large pots for the last few years, including this ginkgo. I think I'm ready to chop the trunk, but I could use suggestions on where. I marked the two spots I'm considering, but really interested to hear what the community thinks.

RNj6R7c.jpg

Also, should I remove the branch on the left that is growing out of the roots or leave it for now?

Welcome back to Crazy!

I'm not a fan of blind chopping to no branches, so I'd layer the thick top branch off at the V and see if you can pop a good low new lead this year.

Maybe get a middle sized trunk that can be placed in any area lacking Nebari on the current 2, for a 3 tree group.

Sorce

Oh you do have branches!

The top is to 90 and the bottom is too low, or can be.

Sorce

Ginkgo are good at back budding on old wood. WHere to chop? Depends on how tall you want the final bonsai.

A general guide, the first segment of trunk should be about a third of the total height of the tree. So the higher mark for a larger bonsai the lower mark for a shorter bonsai. Ginkgo are reliable enough that either will do.

Remove the sucker branch entirely. When you chop, the sucker will monopolize nutrition from the trunk if you do not remove it entirely.

Air layer top off only if ginkgo is rare and hard to get in your area. Here they are pretty common, I would not bother with air layering.

I have trouble with looking down at a tree and offering advice.

Here is an image of my own Ginkgo. See how we are looking at it straight on? See that movement in the trunk? That was from a trunk chop and the scar is on the back of the tree.

That's a 12" Erin Pottery pot...for a mental picture of size.

20201124_155748.jpg

My own was a cutting that eventually was grown put in the ground. I personally didn't do that. This tree came from Scott Lee. I'm assuming hard wood cutting. But not sure. So if you see something from above interesting. I might try to root it. Worse case they don't take and you are where you started with no cuttings.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Some good ideas here. I guess another option is just to leave it alone and let the trunk get fatter before I chop...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Some good ideas here. I guess another option is just to leave it alone and let the trunk get fatter before I chop...
I think as mentioned above. Knowing the final tree size there about. Would help you go with a direction. If you haven't decided. I agree...just allow it to thicken more until you have a direction solid to take.

I think as mentioned above. Knowing the final tree size there about. Would help you go with a direction. If you haven't decided. I agree...just allow it to thicken more until you have a direction solid to take.
I have to look at it more closely. We've moved twice in the last 6 years. The first time, due to space issues, I had to take all my trees to my parents' house, where they've been sitting neglected. I have another ginkgo and a couple of japanese maples, all of which are just growing out. But this one, I'm just not sure what to do with.

But my dad took that pic. I am going to pick them all up this weekend and I'll take a closer look.

Cadillac - I'm in love with your ginkgo.
Awww thank you.

Back in 2017...the entire right side was undeveloped when it arrived.
Screenshot_20210305-185949_Firefox.jpg

To fall...a more current image. You have to own one...to appreciate the buttery yellow foliage. Photos just never seem to catch the true depth of yellow.
20201120_082525.jpg

It's amazing. Maybe one day...

Do you have any pics of the backside?
Not on this new phone. I looked back at my thread on the tree. I don't see one. I did think somewhere posted here there was an image. Will try to think to grab one for you sometime.

And thank you for the kind words. It's in my top ten for sure.

How big and what style are you leaning toward? I see quite a few options on this material.

Had to take the dogs out. So grabbed a shot. Just realized you may not grasp the size of our cut paste containers for size. So disregard that sitting off to the side. This scar...was worth the movement it brought to the trunk.
20210305_194557.jpg

Had to take the dogs out. So grabbed a shot. Just realized you may not grasp the size of our cut paste containers for size. So disregard that sitting off to the side. This scar...was worth the movement it brought to the trunk.
View attachment 358586
Is that considered common practice with gingko? My fiancee likes the leaves so I have a stick in a box, but I haven't really been able to glean what exactly I'm supposed to do with it other than leave it alone, given that cut scars are apparently permanent.

View attachment 358586
Totally - plus it’s a great carving project in the future.

This scar
That is the point I was going to bring up. What I know of ginkgo is that it is very slow to heal over larger cuts. SOmething to keep in mind going forward. More frequent smaller cuts will slow the growth right down, but will also reduce the scarsizes.

Back
Top Bottom