Getting ready to go shopping for European Larch

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, my new European Larch are being delivered today and I thought I would start to buy supplies ready to look after my new trees (saplings)

I don't intend to do any work on these trees yet, But I understand I can trim the summer growth.
The soil I'm going to use to group plant next year is Greenwoods Basic Bonsai mix and Akadama as a top dressing. Fertilizer I'm going to buy is Biogold with a NPK 5.5 – 6.5 – 3.5
I already have a fine watering can and some Bonsai tools

Repotting will be done in March next year, But I will be using the biogold from the get-go until the end of summer every four weeks

Do I have it right for the European Larch

James

'Common knowledge' says repot larch the second the buds start to turn green, Harry Harrington on the otherhand reckons earlier is better and advises January in the UK. Larch are known to not like having the roots disturbed too much.

However, with your trees just being saplings and no-doubt really healthy as they've come from Greenwood, they are likely to be able to tolerate a bit of abuse so I'd go for somewhere between Jan and early March and take it easy on the roots.

Ashley Thank you for the advice tree's have just arrived so I'm off to open my parcel/Box I will be taking photo's later as well

I would just leave them to grow this summer until you get a feel for how strong each is before you start pruning them. Larch depend on their foliage for evapotranspiration cooling and if the UK falls into a long hot July/August they may need it all to keep cool. I have American and Japanese larch and I don’t prune them after Mid-June and keep them out of the sun. Right now oir temps here are maxing out at about 80 F but that is about to change to highs near 90 F. When temps go above 80 I start misting them during the afternoons to help keep them cool. It also depends on their age, as my older trees seem to be able to take the heat better as do Japanese larch.

Cofga thank you for the advice yes I'm going to let the larch grow I have also desided to buy 4 more tree's on sunday and a Maple forest planting as well I think 11 trees for the Maple.

Yep I like forest group planting I first saw one about 20 years back at greenwood bonsai on a slate slab I think it was a beech group and thats what ticked all my boxes. It may have been a raft on a slate. Any way Sapling have been numbered from left to right (Grey pot is number 1)
.20230629_115637.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom