Getting my material ready for fall work.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I identified the material I wish to give a makeover to in a couple months. These trees have had a styling, or in some cases a few stylings over the years. All of them are in desperate need of work and repotting.

This shimpaku has only had one styling and that was four years ago. Based on the runners it has, it is over due for a some Smoke makeover. More jins, addition of shari on the trunk and refinement of the foliage and a repot into a better pot, even though this is a signature Bigei.

DSC_0004.JPG

This California juniper has been to the moon and back many times in the styling dept. At one time it was even a semi cascade. Turning it upright really increased its vigor, and again based on the runners this California is ready.

DSC_0005.JPG

This black pine was almost gone in the watering calamity. I looked at the photo's again and found that the water crisis was in 2016 not 2017 as I had thought. This one sulked for three years with grey needles and no buds for two years. Last year it pushed about 5 buds. But the needles started to look better. This year the tree came back with a vengeance and the tree has pushed hundreds of buds this year. I left everything except 5 tips in the very apex and candle pruned those. Each tip pushed three buds. I think a repot to get the correct planting angle, this one is really weird and I have no idea how I screwed up. This one really needs the needles removed from the last couple years and then a rewire and a planting angle change and then let it go a couple years.

DSC_0006.JPG

This is another California juniper. It is really shaggy and in dire need of a re style and repotting. It has been in this pot six years. I will need to blast. This tree will be radically cut up and will only have one trunk when I'm done. It looks very feminine and thin, but the base of the trunk is six inches across. Watch this one I have some cool ideas about what I will do.

DSC_0007.JPG

This is another California that is ready for a restyle. It hasn't been worked at all since 2014. That was also the last repot. This tree has seen it's share of ups and downs and it too almost died during the water incident. It is very strong right now and ready. There is lots of dead wood and it needs to be seen. Right now it's just a bush. It's name is tripper and I tripped over this tree while coming down the mountain with this tree.
DSC_0005.JPG
I got up and kicked the shit out of the tree and knocked off a huge branch in the back, and decided that it was pretty cool so I collected it too. Long runners and healthy core....it's ready

DSC_0008.JPG

Last edited:
All already great trees. Im really looking forward to following the updates.

I'm most excited about these three airlayers. Two big tridents and a cork elm. each is about 3 inches + at the base and will have compact root structures which will be easy to develop for true Sumo shohin. The trident in the middle is really special and I can't wait to get that one off.

tumblr_m9gx78YRgJ1qfq2hwo1_500.jpg

opps sorry....
DSC_0009.JPG

The pot in picture #1 is fantastic! That is one of my all time favorite finishes.

Please be sure to post some “after” pictures. That will be a great help for those of us who are newbies.

Please start a thread about that lovely tall one, it really caught my eye. I want to see where that one goes. I think I might try to keep the second trunk, if it were me.

Please start a thread about that lovely tall one, it really caught my eye. I want to see where that one goes. I think I might try to keep the second trunk, if it were me.

This was at time of collection in 2004 thru 2014, the last time I worked on it.

008.JPG011.JPG011a.JPG013.JPG020.JPG029.JPG033.JPG035.JPG

You can see the big stick I put between the trunks with a rope pulling the top of the left trunk over more to the right. I was hoping to get the two trunks to move together rather than move away from each other. Hard to correct a hundred years of growth. The last image was turning the composition to show a pairing of the trunks that more closely followed each other and minimized the separation.

Will have to wait and see what happens...

Thanks for sharing, especially the taller California context pics from collection. Makes for good education.

I also love that trident 😂

Back
Top Bottom