general rule of thumb for repotting

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
after you guys repot your pines and junipers, do you place them in the shade or sun? or wait a week or 2 before going back to the sun?
p

First, always keep in mind: conifers require full sun to survive.

It depends on where you live and what time of year you repot it. Since you're in zone 7 early-mid spring when the sun isn't too strong, I would give it full sun. If you're repotting in late august (which works, and is often recommended for Mugos, Scots, Pitch, and sometimes JWP) I would keep the trees out of direct afternoon sun for 2 weeks.

T

I usually place mine in the microwave oven for 5 minutes on 700 watts.

ed

This post came up in a search for something else so i figured i'd respond. I simply put my trees back in the same spot on the bench they were before I repotted. This goes for stock I'm bare rooting, established trees, young trees, deciduous, and evergreen. The only difference being that with junipers I don't remove any top growth, with deciduous trees I try my best to balance root removal with top growth, with black pines I never remove more then half the root ball and don't candle prune the year of a repot. I always soak my trees after I've removed the old soil in a root stimulator and a mycorrhizae drench before potting them in new soil.

Like Ben right back where they were. I'm more concerned with drying winds then sun right after a repot.

Just to add my two cents.

Big difference between a repot of a developed tree and something more dramatic - like potting up (in a growing container) a landscape tree that you have just dug out of the ground.

Just to add my two cents.

Big difference between a repot of a developed tree and something more dramatic - like potting up (in a growing container) a landscape tree that you have just dug out of the ground.

Even for trees i've gotten from nurseries where i've hacked apart the root ball and essentially bare rooted them, I put them back in the same spot. It's always worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom