Gabler’s 27-Year Nebari Challenge

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Bringing this back before the end of the year. Love the idea, count me in. I have Liquidambar that have sprouted up in the wrong places around the yard and an A. Rubrum I plan to dig out in spring, work the roots and plant in a grow box or perhaps re-plant in the ground...

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bringing this back before the end of the year. Love the idea, count me in. I have Liquidambar that have sprouted up in the wrong places around the yard and an A. Rubrum I plan to dig out in spring, work the roots and plant in a grow box or perhaps re-plant in the ground...

I look forward to following your thread.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put these white oaks through washers. They do a lot of growing below ground before they bother growing much above ground.

View attachment 479720

This one was a bit too fat for the washers I have, so I just chopped off the tap root.

View attachment 479721

The washer treatment was not as effective as I had hoped. Some of the washers rusted. Others did not. The trees with rusted washers had dead black tissue around the washer. I discarded those trees.

Here's one of the trees with a rusty washer.

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

Of the healthy trees most produced only a few roots above the washer.

IMG_1145.jpeg

Just one produced many roots.

IMG_1147.jpeg

I chopped off the taproot and washer, and I planted the trees to see what happens.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The washer treatment was not as effective as I had hoped. Some of the washers rusted. Others did not. The trees with rusted washers had dead black tissue around the washer. I discarded those trees.

Here's one of the trees with a rusty washer.

View attachment 536026

View attachment 536027

Of the healthy trees most produced only a few roots above the washer.

View attachment 536028

Just one produced many roots.

View attachment 536029

I chopped off the taproot and washer, and I planted the trees to see what happens.

For comparison, I chopped off the taproots on all of these English oaks last year, and all nine grew much more than the white oak seedlings I put through washers. It's hardly a controlled experiment, but I'm not convinced that using a washer produces better results than just pruning off the taproot.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last year I planted a bunch of Acer rubrum seedlings. The buds were starting to awaken, so I selected the individuals with the most red coloration in the buds and the shortest internodes. I pruned off their taproots, and potted them up individually. I kept somewhere between twenty and thirty seedlings. I didn't bother counting them.

IMG_1139.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

The seedling pictured above is about six inches.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am in with Batman. I'm gonna push it as hard as I can. Whether I can move it depends.
It has an all-around base with deep flutes that stretches out to 36" already. Pushing the base flatter and further out to 48" will be my 27 years goal.
Right now I am trying to keep it alive. When I get to PA, I will move it to a big pot and get started.
PS: If it starts to throw up a lot of knees, I will build a pot with a moat!
View attachment 488845
I am withdrawing Batman. I will enter a tiny BC instead. We will see how that will go.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here is my tiny BC entry. 2” trunk straight stick has been operated on today. The base was tripled in size to 6”. I had to hide some of the base to maintain the tree viability. All the roots were pushed outward and the feeder root pushed downward. The goal is a 18” exposed base in 2 years. I have no idea what 27 years will bring.
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_1550.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1552.jpeg
IMG_1553.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here is my tiny BC entry. 2” trunk straight stick has been operated on today. The base was tripled in size to 6”. I had to hide some of the base to maintain the tree viability. All the roots were pushed outward and the feeder root pushed downward. The goal is a 18” exposed base in 2 years. I have no idea what 27 years will bring.
View attachment 536076
View attachment 536077
View attachment 536078
View attachment 536079
View attachment 536080
The tree wilted for about two weeks but is recovering now. It is starting to push growth again. I figure I will remove the tape in about a month and stuff the crevices with sphagnum moss.

Top Bottom