FreshAirSunshine's 2023-2026 ROR Contest Apple Submission

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Not yet a ROR, but I think that's where I'm going to take this collected apple. Recently bought at a club auction and still in field soil. The branches and curve make me want to something semi-cascade-like, but I need some convincing way to get the trunk majorly tilted. Am I stupid thinking this? Think this should be a traditional bonsai? Think I should layer off the base and keep the straighter trunk portion? Let me know - newbie here happy to learn a thing!

Right now plan is this rock, found in a stream at a friend's place, the tree, and possibly this Shuho pot unless I find I need something deeper.
Tree with details:
tempImagel2JntL.jpgtempImageEZvP9x.jpgtempImagejnI3lp.jpgtempImageZuQsOf.jpg

This Rock:
tempImage5gVWfE.jpgtempImagexR1Afh.jpgtempImage6TKaIq.jpgtempImagee7TkFD.jpgtempImageDolD6f.jpg
This pot:
tempImageKAnFZT.jpg
Something like this at the end?:
AppleBonsaiComposite5.png

Attachments

• tempImagerdgW9D.jpg
    tempImagerdgW9D.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 2
  • tempImages4JWKj.jpg
    tempImages4JWKj.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tempImagesFgCJE.jpg
    tempImagesFgCJE.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you considered really leaning (pun intended) into the cascade feel and getting rid of the top straight section? Like so

Attachments

• tempImagel2JntL~2.jpg
    tempImagel2JntL~2.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Have you considered really leaning (pun intended) into the cascade feel and getting rid of the top straight section? Like so
I hadn’t but it’s an interesting thought. I was thinking of the highly bent branch on top as a basis for some apex-like construction.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
The angle is off (probably needs to be angled downwards a bit more so the rock is somewhat above the trunk and it looks like it was force in that direction). It’s likely not the right pot (needs a deeper one, more semi-cascade). For the next year if not two this is where it’ll stay though.BE6E6DB9-4201-400B-B551-D56FD5FD9E7E.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
755D032E-AA7D-448B-A54A-DA4FFEB9EABE.jpegHagedorn/others styled muck based on cooked cornstarch, sphagnum, soil fines, and some yamagoke in my case. Potted in a Shuho pot over a rock I found in a family member’s stream on their property.

Top Bottom