Formal uprights

Nigel D

Seed
Reaction score
I live in Florida and I am look for some Formal uprights for a scaled mini project. They would need to be hardy for zone 9. If anyone knows of a nursery in Fla what would have them could you please pass on the information

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Formal upright what? Boulevard cypress grow in that zone. So do some of the upright juniper. A real nursery (not a box store) should have some.

Nigel D

Seed
Reaction score
Formal upright Cypress,Elm,oak,shilling... So far most I have found have to much movement

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well, then. You may have to wire them. :D

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
A somewhat vague request. Formal uprights are not as common as other styles, but most big nurseries should have some if you're looking (& have some cash :)).

What part of Florida are you in? Robert Pinder at Dragontree Bonsai has a lot of stock to choose from. I was there last weekend, and very mipressed with the quantity and selection. I'm sure he could walk you around and pick out some formal upright candidates. http://www.dragontreebonsai.com/DTBHome_Page.html

Jim Smith at Durastone also has tons of stuff. http://www.jimsmithbonsai.com/Catalog/catalog_page_1.htm

Don't let either web-site fool you. They both have rows and rows of pre-bonsai, as well as plenty of more developed, potted "real" bonsai trees.

Wigert's is probably a good bet too, though I've never been there.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A somewhat vague request. Formal uprights are not as common as other styles, but most big nurseries should have some if you're looking (& have some cash :)).

What part of Florida are you in? Robert Pinder at Dragontree Bonsai has a lot of stock to choose from. I was there last weekend, and very mipressed with the quantity and selection. I'm sure he could walk you around and pick out some formal upright candidates. http://www.dragontreebonsai.com/DTBHome_Page.html

Jim Smith at Durastone also has tons of stuff. http://www.jimsmithbonsai.com/Catalog/catalog_page_1.htm

Don't let either web-site fool you. They both have rows and rows of pre-bonsai, as well as plenty of more developed, potted "real" bonsai trees.

Wigert's is probably a good bet too, though I've never been there.

Well said mat.

Unfortunately I haven't visited Durastone yet. But, I've had the opportunity to visit both Dragon Tree and Wigert's. If you're going for a Bald Cypress I would visit Wigert's. If anything else you've listed I'd visit DragonTree.

Evan

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nigel, most the Home depots have great upright varieties like Italian cypress, and its either san jose cypress or san diego cypress, I can not recall the name, these are for $10 to $39 dollars depending on the size. They also carry elms and oaks in ten gallon pots with great straight trunks that could be chopped this time of year, and parsonis junipers and blue points which are straight trunked juniper varieties. These would all be from 3 foot to ten foot tall, but they are reasonable and readily available at the home depots here in orange and osceola as well as polk counties in central fl. The home depot on hwy 27 in polk county at the eagle ridge mall near the road to winter haven fl. has an amazing buy on several weeping figs, which I beleive are Ficus benjaminas, they are ten to twelve feet tall with trunk around six inches diameter and great strong radial nebari, you could make several air layer over time and chop the trunk to about a foot and have an amazing bonsai! these are a special sale for $20, I would have bought one but I already have 6 tropicals and no time to make the layers before I go home. And they would be to big to transport home in my RV. They are worth checking out though.

ed

Top Bottom