Foliage management for Alaskan Yellow Cedar aka cypress etc.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update after two months of growth, this species is a vigorous one. This morning I thinned out the foliage and decided which areas to continue lengthening for canopy design! There has been a lot of extension in the past. two months. IMG_1578.JPGIMG_1579.JPGIMG_1580.JPGIMG_1581.JPGIMG_1583.JPGI have been able to reduce all primary branches sufficiently that I am now working with interior new growth to fashion the canopy. I have provided snapshots of all four sides. I use these for reference to fashion the canopy as the foliage grows out and also to fine tune the planting angles when time to repot.
This tree will be repotted this spring and I have provided a photo showing the intended pot. I have decided on a round pot, to fit with the aspect that the tree is very informal in natural shape and developed style. I think it shows interesting form from all sides so the round pot is suitable from that aspect as well. The pot chosen is a Sarah Rayner with a finish that complements the deadwood which is the main feature of this tree! The pot is 3 1/4 inches deep and 9 1/2 inches in diameter. Inside measurements.
Things left to do are as follows:
1. Adjust planting angle and depth to optimize view for all four sides.
2. Grow out foliage for length and density, particularly in the lower portion and one side to create some tension in the design.
3. Adjust the apex position and refinement as the foliage compacts and reduce in the upper portion.
4. The re assess and move forward with improvements as desired.

Top Bottom