Floating Shelves

ecalvillo7

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi! Im currently undertaking a project to install floating shelves in our patio to place my trees. Has anyone done this or any recomendations? I cant find a lot of pictures or examples online, but due to space it seems like a good idea (go vertical!).

Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By floating shelves, you mean ledges affixed to walls? If so, not a great idea...If you're a beginner, you probably have misjudged how wide those shelves have to be--back branches can't touch the wall. Additionally, such shelving means that one side of the tree will remain shaded, which will weaken branching. Rotating the tree every couple of days can help, but that leaves the heat issue--A wall in the summer will both reflect heat onto the trees/containers, as well as act as a "heat sink" which remains hot after the sun goes down. That means the trees immediately next to it will not cool down during the night. This is a critical part of trees' ability to complete photosynthesis, as well as growth. If the containers on the shelves are very small they are more likely to heat up quickly and with that heat, more likely to have root damage from it...Air circulation could also be affected, shelves below could also be shaded out by shelves above...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know what you mean by "floating" shelves.

Many people have used shelves. Biggest issue with shelves is that only the top shelf is open to the sky. Most trees need full exposure to the sky. Very few bonsai do well on the lower shelves, because light is obstructed.

ecalvillo7

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the responses. @rockm, you´ve got a good point on the heating of wall and shelf. Ive seen a couple of videos of a bonsai garden in Singapore (JIA Bonsai i think its called), were the trees are attached to a wall. Ill keep investigating but seems a bit risky.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what you mean by "floating" shelves.

Many people have used shelves. Biggest issue with shelves is that only the top shelf is open to the sky. Most trees need full exposure to the sky. Very few bonsai do well on the lower shelves, because light is obstructed.
Typically "floating" shelves' supports aren't visible--no brackets, etc. for visible support...typically fastened to a stud or support directly behind the back edge of the shelf. There is typically a weight limit to those ( I have several in my basement that support a few of my best bonsai pots). I would think weight would also be an issue for such shelves--dirt pot and tree can weigh a lot. Add in water and well, ya got 30 lbs of bonsai in no time...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just get regular shelves and that floating bonsai they made 9 threads about!

Welcome to Crazy!

I realize many people are considering their trees when thinking about floating shelves.

A few right tiny Mame and Shohin trees can be cared for well on smaller shelves.

Sorce

Top Bottom