Flame tree leaves not opening.

Reaction score
My flame tree is over a year old and I noticed today that the leaves haven’t opened up all day. I’ve struggled with this little guy but we’re still kicking.

Any ideas of what that might be, or if I should worry about it. I’m in Utah and we’re in the hottest part of the year.

Thanks

Mine only open under direct (indirect) light. It's awkwardly tall for my space, so it sometimes gets rotated to where part of a frond isn't under any grow light, and those leaves don't open.

If that's not it, I would guess a lack of water or too much direct (direct) light without seeing any photos.

It’s been super hot these last few weeks so I’ll try watering more than my usual once a week

Trees that have functions like your flame tree keep their leaflets "closed" during times of stress or inefficiency.

The leaflets stay closed as a means of preserving water. Even tropical trees have a limit to the heat they can take before they go into a summer dormancy to conserve resources. I'd advise to just water as much as the tree needs. It can only take in so much water and release it to cool itself down.

Just take care of the needs of the tree and it will sort itself out in due time. (Probably once the days start cooling down.)

Back
Top Bottom