First Tree - A "Sea Green" Juniper

AstroDevil95

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
What's up Everybody!!

Soooo just had a bad ankle injury that has left my unable to walk. As I am very active, I was looking for something new to try while I recover.

My lady friend picked up scraggly Sea Green Juniper tree from the local nursery here in NJ for me to to just jump right in. I did some heavy pruning and wiring this past weekend. My plan is to just let it grow in its original pot to see if we can get some cool movement and foliage in the tree. I read Peter Chan's bonsai book in order to get some idea of process, but the style portion kind of passed me by. Right now it looks like a scraggly little juniper - but hoping just to let it grow out and see where it goes and eventually get it into a Bonsai pot.

Any one see any potential/ direction to take this little guy? Any recommendation further reading - as with this little tree I can't really said I had any method to the madness. I guess the experimentation is part of the learning and fun

Thanks New Friends!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240811_211432364~2.jpg
    PXL_20240811_211432364~2.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to the site, good luck with the recovery! No suggestions for the tree other than don't kill it, lol. Others may chime in..

Welcome fellow NJ'er.

Where are you located? The wire you applied has some concerning spots, such as where wire crosses over each other to girdle branches. Also, it doesnt look like you actually bent any key branches with the wire, which may be too thin for the branches you wired sincd it appears to be aluminum. Here are some examples:

Keep wiring at about 45deg and even intervals along the branch:
20240811_183938.jpg

When wiring a branch with two sets of wire, they should run parallel to each other and not cross over perpendicularly.
20240811_183906.jpg

Apply wire to make curved and move branches, if youre not moving branches or creating curves and movement, wire is useless.
20240811_183853.jpg

Now I am no pristine wiring expert such as some on here but the basic principles I try to follow as best I can. Your tree lacks an interesting trunk, which is the most important element. If you can find some thicker wire, you should be able to get more interesting movement in the trunk:
20240811_164034.jpg

I would look for one of our local clubs and try to get in person advice if you are serious about the hobby.

EDIT: This thread should be required reading for new to the artform working with Juniper:
Thread 'Itoigawa juniper Stock' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/itoigawa-juniper-stock.8647/

Enjoy, have fun, and I wish you a fast recovery!

Last edited:
Welcome
Hope your ankle heals quickly
Best way to learn and get better is to work on trees. Spend some time to read and ask questions. Many of us started that way

Welcome fellow NJ'er.

Where are you located? The wire you applied has some concerning spots, such as where wire crosses over each other to girdle branches. Also, it doesnt look like you actually bent any key branches with the wire, which may be too thin for the branches you wired sincd it appears to be aluminum. Here are some examples:

Keep wiring at about 45deg and even intervals along the branch:
View attachment 562247

When wiring a branch with two sets of wire, they should run parallel to each other and not cross over perpendicularly.
View attachment 562246

Apply wire to make curved and move branches, if youre not moving branches or creating curves and movement, wire is useless.
View attachment 562245

Now I am no pristine wiring expert such as some on here but the basic principles I try to follow as best I can. Your tree lacks an interesting trunk, which is the most important element. If you can find some thicker wire, you should be able to get more interesting movement in the trunk:
View attachment 562248

I would look for one of our local clubs and try to get in person advice if you are serious about the hobby.

EDIT: This thread should be required reading for new to the artform working with Juniper:
Thread 'Itoigawa juniper Stock' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/itoigawa-juniper-stock.8647/

Enjoy, have fun, and I wish you a fast recovery!

Thanks brother! I live in Bergen County right by the city. Yes I knew something was off with the wiring - just didn't feel right. Those main branches I kept aren't going to bend without me snapping the tree lolol I think if I want that bent look prob better off starting with something younger. I will prob try again but this time see if I can get my hands on a younger tree or get something with more interesting twists already established. Any books you suggest?

Welcome to the site, good luck with the recovery! No suggestions for the tree other than don't kill it, lol. Others may chime in..
thanks!!! ruptured my Achilles so im on my A** for awhile lolol Not killing the tree is really my only benchmark to shoot for here ... and have fun lolol

Thanks brother! I live in Bergen County right by the city. Yes I knew something was off with the wiring - just didn't feel right. Those main branches I kept aren't going to bend without me snapping the tree lolol I think if I want that bent look prob better off starting with something younger. I will prob try again but this time see if I can get my hands on a younger tree or get something with more interesting twists already established. Any books you suggest?
Those branches will bend with heavier copper wire and some wrapping like Raffia. Id look into the Bergen County club.

Back
Top Bottom