First post (almost)

DaveZ

Seedling
Reaction score
G'day guys, just thought I'd throw up a quick intro post so I don't feel like a total stalker. I'm David, I'm based in sunny Queensland, Australia. Have had an interest in bonsai for a long time but only really started to get into working with trees a few years ago. I don't have anything that could lay claim to being bonsai yet, but a ton of trees that are on the way, well, in my eyes anyway. Love the forum, and love reading all your posts on anything to do with bonsai. I'll throw a couple photos up, I don't have a lot, I seem to be terrible at taking photos and keeping them organised so I don't bother a lot of the time. Strangely I find it easier to document what I'm doing in video and throw it up on YouTube. Gives me a good way to look back at where I started and what I'm doing with my trees. I'm hoping it will give a good perspective when my trees and skills have developed to the point of having something worthy of the bonsai title.

Cheers,
Dave.

Callistemon species
onqrdRF.jpg

Melaleuca species
tCXYtik.png

Leptospermum species
JupJmPP.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
G'day guys, just thought I'd throw up a quick intro post so I don't feel like a total stalker. I'm David, I'm based in sunny Queensland, Australia. Have had an interest in bonsai for a long time but only really started to get into working with trees a few years ago. I don't have anything that could lay claim to being bonsai yet, but a ton of trees that are on the way, well, in my eyes anyway. Love the forum, and love reading all your posts on anything to do with bonsai. I'll throw a couple photos up, I don't have a lot, I seem to be terrible at taking photos and keeping them organised so I don't bother a lot of the time. Strangely I find it easier to document what I'm doing in video and throw it up on YouTube. Gives me a good way to look back at where I started and what I'm doing with my trees. I'm hoping it will give a good perspective when my trees and skills have developed to the point of having something worthy of the bonsai title.

Cheers,
Dave.

Callistemon species
onqrdRF.jpg

Melaleuca species
tCXYtik.png

Leptospermum species
JupJmPP.jpg
Nice. Love the Callistemon you have. You call it stalker I call it lurker. Less jail time that way for me. ;) As a fellow long time lurker I'm glad you took the red pill and dove into the forum.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the forum, Dave! Bonsai is a terrific hobby that can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. This forum is great and there are many members on here with loads of experience. Many members on here are willing to share their experience and knowledge freely, which is great. There are, however, those with little to no experience also. These well-meaning individuals sometimes offer advice that isn't helpful, so you need to be careful with who you accept it.
I highly encourage you to join a local club if you haven't done so already. Clubs are an excellent way to meet others in the hobby, source material, and learn techniques. The internet is a wonderful resource but nothing can compare to working with people in person.
Good luck to you. I'm looking forward to seeing more of you and your trees on here.

Cory

DaveZ

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Dave! Bonsai is a terrific hobby that can provide a lifetime of enjoyment. This forum is great and there are many members on here with loads of experience. Many members on here are willing to share their experience and knowledge freely, which is great. There are, however, those with little to no experience also. These well-meaning individuals sometimes offer advice that isn't helpful, so you need to be careful with who you accept it.
I highly encourage you to join a local club if you haven't done so already. Clubs are an excellent way to meet others in the hobby, source material, and learn techniques. The internet is a wonderful resource but nothing can compare to working with people in person.
Good luck to you. I'm looking forward to seeing more of you and your trees on here.

Cory

Thanks mate, clubs are difficult for me, I live at least an hour from the nearest area where there might be one and I spend 2/3 of my time 7 hours north of home working a rotating shift that means I don't always get weekends off. I found the same problem when I got into beekeeping, I found myself wanting to go to the local beekeeping club meetings but I could never seem to catch them on my days off. I guess that's another reason why I like forums so much and why I'm documenting my learnings in video form, they are both ways to end up with communities of like minded people around you helping each other to learn. I don't seem to have the time these days to be super active on forums but I do read a lot of posts and gain a lot of insight. I like working out who the knowledgeable ones are and who are the ones who just like to sound their own horn 😂

DaveZ

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice trees ya got there, I like that first one a lot.
Thanks. It's changed a bit since that photo was taken. The top has been brought down a bit to introduce an angle change, and the bud you see on the left of the trunk has thickened up and been shortened back to work on taper and movement. She's coming along alright. I should be able to get some half decent branch structure on it this coming year I reckon.

Top Bottom