First ever pot. Thoughts?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mihai that was the round we saw unfired earlier?

Nice!

Same Clay?
Hot spot?
Firing with cones to verify temps?
How was the lip shaped?

I wanna see the slumped one!

Sorce

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
=))) Actually closer. Poopurr's a little too green around the gills in this one tho' :)). (Poopurr us the furry beast in the pot. Named after her two favorite activities)

@defra thanks mate! Them my next batch will not be up your alley. I'm trying to get them right. Had a wonderful one that slumped like an icecream in the kiln, so i now have a personal ambition to get that damned lip as straight as a razor.
its not that i dislike all pots with a lip as long as they are not too exagerated, in my personal point of view they sometimes draw my attention away hard to explain my brain lol .
ill still look forward to what your next batch looks like!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sometimes draw my attention away

I think a lot has to do with the shape of the pot, even small details like wether or not there is defined lines on that lip, beveled edges and such, makes a huge difference.

I watched this thing on Traction of Motorcycle tires, where a point system is employed to determine how many of 100 total points things are using for turning, braking, etc..once you go over 100, you crash.

The same type of system can be used to "explain our brains", if you will.

A tree has 100 points of intracacy, "busyness".
The Pot and Stand should remain equal or less than that 100. Busy tree busy pot/stand...simple tree simple pot/stand... right? And the pot should always be more silent than the tree.

So to the point...I think big lipped pots fail often because they are paired with Literati trees often, which are simple. So addition of anything other than that already prominent lip feature quickly brings too much attention to the pot.

I think that is why I like the design of @ABCarve big lipped tray that Bjorn uses. It is very smooth. Simple. (Care to share a picture?)

What are your thoughts?

Oh also, use of Literati, or tall whispy things, is almost necessary to elevate folaige that far away from the lip feature too. I think that actually adds a lot of disconnect. Perhaps this can be negated with jins, or the right turns in the right places.... ?

Many intracacies.

Sorce

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think a lot has to do with the shape of the pot, even small details like wether or not there is defined lines on that lip, beveled edges and such, makes a huge difference.

I watched this thing on Traction of Motorcycle tires, where a point system is employed to determine how many of 100 total points things are using for turning, braking, etc..once you go over 100, you crash.

The same type of system can be used to "explain our brains", if you will.

A tree has 100 points of intracacy, "busyness".
The Pot and Stand should remain equal or less than that 100. Busy tree busy pot/stand...simple tree simple pot/stand... right? And the pot should always be more silent than the tree.

So to the point...I think big lipped pots fail often because they are paired with Literati trees often, which are simple. So addition of anything other than that already prominent lip feature quickly brings too much attention to the pot.

I think that is why I like the design of @ABCarve big lipped tray that Bjorn uses. It is very smooth. Simple. (Care to share a picture?)

What are your thoughts?

Oh also, use of Literati, or tall whispy things, is almost necessary to elevate folaige that far away from the lip feature too. I think that actually adds a lot of disconnect. Perhaps this can be negated with jins, or the right turns in the right places.... ?

Many intracacies.

Sorce
I believe there’s a pot for every tree and a tree for every pot. I think its great fun to experiment with form and not think of a tree going into it.

04E6C9D0-322A-4C9C-97F9-D1C94092A032.jpeg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I believe there’s a pot for every tree and a tree for every pot. I think its great fun to experiment with form and not think of a tree going into it.

View attachment 323895
I really want to like this but I can’t get over the crooked scroll! Or crooked picture! Whichever. I had to struggle to see the pot and even then I’m looking to see if it lines up with the picture edge. Yep it’s a crooked scroll! It jars for me. Sorry. That is a nice pot down there once I scroll far enough that I can’t see the scroll anymore!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I really want to like this but I can’t get over the crooked scroll! Or crooked picture! Whichever. I had to struggle to see the pot and even then I’m looking to see if it lines up with the picture edge. Yep it’s a crooked scroll! It jars for me. Sorry. That is a nice pot down there once I scroll far enough that I can’t see the scroll anymore!
I didn’t take the photo but the crooked scroll maybe from a wide angle lens. It would be difficult to make that scroll defy gravity. 😱😱
My theory is don’t use a pot that makes you uncomfortable. After all you’re the one that’s got to look at it every day.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I didn’t take the photo but the crooked scroll maybe from a wide angle lens. It would be difficult to make that scroll defy gravity. 😱😱
My theory is don’t use a pot that makes you uncomfortable. After all you’re the one that’s got to look at it every day.
Wide angle makes sense! I do like your pot and @Mihai’s! They need the right tree but there is one! Yours seems well paired in my uneducated but getting there year by year opinion.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wide angle

Fuuuuuuck wide angle!

Let's not make excuses for poor pictures if it isn't a crooked scroll!

Just like these bitch ass fake bikers that talk about "it's closer than it looks" cuz of a wide angle lens when talking about a near crash, which only means they are even closer to idiotic. Like, "I suck at situational awareness so much I was even closer to getting in an accident than it looked"...

Well that's stupid!

Fix the damn scroll! Lol!

Sorce

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice!! That concave probably helps the sides from warping in. Great job.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice!! That concave probably helps the sides from warping in. Great job.
Well thank you! Coming from you that actually made my night :). Love your work!

Two more in this lineup are waiting to meet the kiln gods actually. I think I have a new fetish for this shape.
IMG_20200911_003156-01.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Original.

Does the face have the same iradescence as the bottom?
That's slick.

Sorce

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well thank you! Coming from you that actually made my night :). Love your work!

Two more in this lineup are waiting to meet the kiln gods actually. I think I have a new fetish for this shape.
View attachment 329822
I do like the simplicity of the first one. Just sayin'. ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see the first one with no feet, or half that foot bevelled under.

Nice.

Sorce

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd like to see the first one with no feet, or half that foot bevelled under.

Nice.

Sorce
Hey Sorce. I could try it on the next one. Love how this model turned out so I will definitely make more.

Top Bottom