First Bonsai - Mugo Pine - Need some advice

farallon5

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I picked up this Mugo Pine from Lowes on clearance as it had a good amount of dead limbs on its one side. I live in North Carolina am a complete newbie to the bonsai world and this is my first attempt. I have been doing a good amount of reading online, watching youtube videos and finally found this forum after a redditor suggested it. Just finished reading a compilation of advice from Vance Wood from this forum and I wanted to post to ask a couple clarifying questions:

1. Its recomended not to remove more than 50 - 60% of the foliage mass during this time of year. Looking at my pictures am I safe to take off more being that some of the branches I removed were already dead? I'd like to remove the 4 lower branches near the trunk but am hesitant as I do not want to put the tree at risk.

2. If I am ok to take off the lower branches is it also safe to wire right now directly after pruning and repotting? Again I am trying not risk damaging the tree if possible.

3. I did not remove a lot of the roots at all and did place it in a larger container than the one I purchased. I drilled some extra holes in the bottom to improve drainage but I did not use any special bonsai soil. Would it be too late to repot again with bonsai soil? Or is it safe to leave it it as is? The soil is a mixture of Sphagnum moss and generic potting soil.

I personally think the tree has a lot of potential but again I really want to make sure I take my time and not damage the tree. Any advice, tips or critiques would be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7647.JPG
    IMG_7647.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7648.JPG
    IMG_7648.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7649.JPG
    IMG_7649.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 57
It looks like you should keep one of those 4.

More importantly, those branches aren't going to get in the way of anything you want to keep for design.

Your better off practicing your "contraptionalizing" of a system to put strong guy wires, and just leave em yoinked down till everything gets moving next spring. Or even later.

No rush!

It looks promising now.

Sorce

Excellent! Thank you very much for the advice and feedback!

Back
Top Bottom