First Bonsai- Dawn Redwood

Alright, lets bring this back around to Dawn Redwood. I don't have hands-on experience, but I have read a lot about the species. As much as I could soak up and watch. Planning on getting one in the next few years. Here are some key points

1.) They are a deciduous conifer- I am sure you know this, but that means they will shed all of their foliage every year just like a deciduous tree. They need dormancy period over the winter. According to everything I have read, a cold frame is your best bet, depending on how cold it gets there. I am in Chicago, and every time I see cold frame, in my mind I substitute unheated garage, as that is all I have in regards to a cold frame. I have never seen an issue with using my garage. Only key there is, you need to bring the tree outside once the threat of 20s goes away. For me, thats usually Mid-March, but I do keep my trees protected at night just in case we get a low dip in temperature.

2.) Soil- They love water. Not necessarily as much as their sempervirens cousin, but they definitely don't like to be dry. So, I have read that 100 percent akadama is the gold standard. I would not recommend standard potting soil. It stays far too wet. If you don't have the money for Akadama, Diatemaceous Earth is a good substitute and relatively inexpensive. If you have to go with potting soil, mix in some pumice, 70 percent potting, 30 percent pumice. However, I would strongly advise not to use standard potting soil.

3.) Sun- Dawn Redwoods are pretty heat tolerant, but on your hottest days, you might want to move them to indirect sunlight (Partial to full shade)

4.) Diseases- Dawn redwoods are much more susceptible to fungal issues than their cousins. So, go out and get yourself some Mancozeb before next spring, and apply it to all foliar surfaces every ten days or so when it is going to be wet for a decent period of time. Once summer kicks in and those spring rains decrease, you can limit treatment to only periods of heavy rain.

5.) Pruning- I think you prune them like a deciduous species. This is something I haven't dug much into since I do not have one yet. Somebody with more experience should chime in here if you have hands-on experience.

6.) General Bonsai stuff- I would recommend that for next year, just get your repot done as you see the buds swell. If the buds are already having fronds emerge, you missed the boat. It's too late to repot. You can repot in late spring, once the growth hardens off, but then you need to protect it from full sun and gradually get the tree acclimated after you see some new growth push. If you are going to do one thing right with a repot, timing is the key. You can do a lot more to a tree if you time the repot right than you can if you don't. Basically, timing is what will help make up for some beginner mistakes. I would recommend to only prune the tap root and any overly long roots when you repot in spring. Tree seems young, don't want to stress it too much. If the tree responds well to the repot, begin fertilizing after you see new growth push. Don't do any heavy pruning until the end of the year. In fact, I would say let that little guy grow for a few years so you can get some decent taper after your first cut. There is a caveat to that though, if you let the top shade out the lower branching, you won't have anything to cut back to, so selectively prune during those two years pruning can be done at any time after the fronds harden off (AKA darken to the normal mid-season color.

I know that is a lot of info, but that is all I have been able to gleam from online sources. If anyone has anything to add or edit, and you have practical experience, please reply so that we get this little tree off on the right foot.

I think if you really want to get into bonsai, you have some reading to do. You need to understand WHY and when chops are made before you'll make any progress.

Grab a few second hand books from amazon.. what ever takes your fancy. Even older stuff that is alittle outdated, will get you thinking, asking questions and give you points of reference to research to.

These olives on the way.. are these unseen saplings? Best way to get stuck in (after a bit more research) is to get to a nursary / garden center and look for material that already has a trunk you think you can work with. There's great hidden little gems out there. Junipers are a good start.. if your looking at maples and pines stay away from grafts for now. Check the clearance area or forgotten corners.

For the red wood... If your determined to use it, pop it in the corner of the garden and let it be. By the time it needs touching you'll know where to go next.

Rockm can sound grouchy, but there was no need for that. You said in the opening post you came here for help, and he's one of the guys here that has done the years of work so people like us can ask advise and save seasons of attempts or failures. And re reading his posts here he's correct.

Welcome. Play nice. Get you game on.

I also dont necessarily subscribe to the idea that planting in the ground and letting it grow is necessarily always the best way to go. when professionals see trees that have been grown in containers their whole life, they can usually tell. And almost always it makes the tree more impressive to them.

Everyone is always in a hurry. Its why you see the make a bonsai in fifteen minutes videos online. To me, its a question of what you want. If you want rapid growth, a finished looking tree in the shortest time possible, go the garden planting route. If you want to enjoy and control exactly how it grows and dont care how long that takes. Even decades, go container grown. We rush everything in life. Ive learned more patience since starting bonsai than i had in my previous 23 years.

But buying a cheap juniper for some quick styling and seeing what you can make of it is definitely fun and has its merits too.

FWIW

I have two Dawn redwoods.

Or maybe one is a bald cypress.

I don't really know.

But what I do know is that they f'n grow about a meter a year.

That's like 3 1/2 feet.

They're both in the ground.

I chop em in the late winter/early spring. And they grow like crazy in the summer.

One of em, trunk was a sharpie marker thick. 2 years later, 2 inches. For reals.

Put it in the ground, sun, fert and raindance.

and FWIW again, I agree with @rockm grow bonsai for yourself. And future generations too I may add, that may or may not be your kids.

But what I do know is that they f'n grow about a meter a year.

My bougies in the ground will throw 12' of growth a year. From numerous runners. It has gotten to the point where I am seriously considering removing them and selling them because they take so much work to maintain.

My bougies in the ground will throw 12' of growth a year. From numerous runners. It has gotten to the point where I am seriously considering removing them and selling them because they take so much work to maintain.

I'm thinking propagation since they grow so fast.

I just need to learn how to successfully propagate them. I tried last year. Leafless cutting popped leaves, but no roots formed, on well over 30 cuttings to boot! I'm doing something wrong. Gave them about 3 months. Nada.

F1pt4. I have noticed some issues with seedlings that I have started from seed when it comes to rooting. I think I have isolated the problem. When I keep the soil at the least heavily moist, the seedlings don't seem to extend their roots. I can tell both above and below the soil, as they don't seem to throw out new growth. However, if I hold off on watering. Taking the seedlings to the edge of what I think is safe. Just watering before the root zone starts to dry up, and they push growth above and below the soil. Just my own observation.

IMG_1817.PNG
I'm thinking propagation since they grow so fast.

I just need to learn how to successfully propagate them. I tried last year. Leafless cutting popped leaves, but no roots formed, on well over 30 cuttings to boot! I'm doing something wrong. Gave them about 3 months. Nada.

Hi, on this german Bonsai Forum the user Tofufee explains how she propagates metasequoia.
At the beginning of April she cuts the branches and puts them in water. At the beginning of July most have developped
roots. Thicker branches develop easier roots than thinner branches.
Then she puts the rooted branches in Bonsai substrate an cuts the leaves a little bit back. Those branches with too little roots come back into the water.

Here is the link, it has beautiful images of a metasequoia forest:

https://www.bonsai-fachforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38966&hilit=metasequoia&start=60

Attachments

• IMG_1818.PNG
    IMG_1818.PNG
    517.8 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom