First bonsai - Colorado Blue Spruce

Gray_Panther

Seedling
Reaction score
Had this growing in my yard for about four years and took it out of the ground today and potted it.
A lady was throwing out a nice blue ceramic pot and meta stand so I asked if I could take it and she said yes. For potting mix I did cocoa poir, perlite, earth from where the tree was growing, spanghum moss (5%) and some compost (15%). I had aluminum wire and drilled my holes in the pot for drainage.
I put small rocks at the bottom and then placed the tree in and wired it down before filling with the potting mix.
Tomorrow I will add moss that has been growing on my patio. The tree was naturally leaning from the wind so I decided to keep that shape instead of tying it straight.
On some other day I will wire the branches and clip some needles off.
This tree wasn’t growing as full as I liked so it can be my first foray into bonsai. This was done for someone special.
Tree was planted when I got it as a sapling from the town for $1. Going to grow more yamadori next season just to have.

Attachments

• IMG_6168.jpeg
    IMG_6168.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6169.jpeg
    IMG_6169.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6170.jpeg
    IMG_6170.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6171.jpeg
    IMG_6171.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6172.jpeg
    IMG_6172.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 46
As Orion said, summer is not a good toke to repot most things other than tropicals.

The soil you used looks like it has a lot of potting soil and will probably stay too wet.
Spruce are conifers and don't like soils that stay sopping wet for days.

Hopefully it will survive but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Take the time to learn the proper timing for things and practice that. You'll have much better chances of success.

Back
Top Bottom